Five must-see sets this festival season

roo

If you’re like me, you’ve been tracking (and possibly drooling a small amount over) the major music festival lineups that are currently being unveiled one by one, leading up to the warm spring weather that denotes festival season once again. Perhaps you too have started fantasizing about that winning lottery ticket that will put you on the plane to Sasquatch or Coachella. But whether you’re lucky enough to actually be going to one of these festivals, or if you’re curious what you’ll be missing, here are some sets that the blessed attendees likely won’t forget soon.

Daft Punk — Coachella April 16

Anyone familiar with the house music gurus of Daft Punk knows, frustratingly, that their shows are few and far between. Their last U.S. festival date was Aug. 3, 2007, at Chicago’s Lollapalooza. Since then, they’ve done only a small handful of shows and have successfully kept fans completely in the dark about their future touring and recording plans. In other words, every chance you get to see them could definitely be your last.

The Strokes — South by Southwest March 17

The Strokes will be one of the buzz bands in Austin next month where it is scheduled to play its SXSW set at Auditorium Shores on the scenic Lady Bird Lake. Not only that, it’s choosing to do it free of charge — “no badges, no lines, no nothin,’” according to its management. In anticipation of “Angles,” their first album in five years that will see its U.S. release only five days after the show, the New York City rockers will be stocked full of brand new songs — some bang for the buck you won’t even have to pay. The Strokes will also be playing sets at Coachella, Jazz & Heritage and Bonnaroo, albeit for the standard festival prices.

Death From Above 1979 — Coachella March 17, Sasquatch May 27

Broken up since 2006, the dance-punk duo of Sebastian Grainger and Jesse Keeler (of MSTRKRFT fame) recently made plans for an unprecedented reunion tour. In fact, it wasn’t until their names appeared on Coachella’s lineup in late January that anybody had a clue they were getting back together at all. Along with Sasquatch co-players Guided by Voices, DFA ’79 is by all means the undead act to catch this festival season.

Arcade Fire — Coachella April 16, Jazz & Heritage May 6, Bonnaroo June 9-12

The no-brainer of the list. Coming off of their surprising Grammys cleanup, the Canadian giants will take an international victory lap that includes stops at two of this country’s biggest festivals, Coachella and Bonnaroo, for headlining sets. Its live show is widely considered one of the most energetic among rock bands today, and that certainly shouldn’t be hindered by the mildly baffling fact that it could actually be the biggest band in the world right now.

Lil Wayne — The Bamboozle May 1, Bonnaroo June 9-12

Out of jail and right back on tour! After his stop in Bloomington, Wayne will head outdoors to appease the sweaty masses at New Jersey’s The Bamboozle and Tennessee’s Bonnaroo. It would be valid to say that music festivals and being released from prison are the two most effective ways to feel like a free man.