Political bromance: The New Jersey odd couple

As you may already know, Jersey Shore kicked off its third season last week, complete with a girl fight and hot tub emotions.

In addition to these bronzed bimbos, though, New Jersey is offering up another valuable export: a bipartisan bond between Cory Booker and Chris Christie that is setting the model for effective partnerships across party lines.

Booker, a Democrat, is mayor of Newark, New Jersey’s largest city.  Christie is the Republican governor of the state.  Despite differences in party and politics, the two have managed to work together to help advance their constituencies.

Both ran on promises of reducing waste and increasing the efficiency of government, which they’ve already had some success in achieving. This past summer, Booker indicated support for Christie’s plan to cap property taxes at 2.5 percent.  They have also patrolled the streets of Newark together and worked to reduce crime in Newark.  Even more interesting is that Booker is rumored to be a possible challenger to Christie in 2013.

In a move that showed true willingness to put principle ahead of politics, Christie agreed to surrender state control of Newark’s public school system to Mayor Booker after he announced a new plan to increase accountability of all parties involved in education.  Christie, who has engaged in a very public fight with teachers’ unions about job security, wages and benefits  will work with Booker to select a superintendent for the district.

Christie recently proposed changes to state minimum superintendent qualifications to allow experience as a substitute for certain degree requirements, which could help Booker attract an unconventional leader to turn around Newark’s schools.

The two also secured a $100 million matching donation from Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg to support education in Newark.  In an appearance with Booker and Christie on “Oprah,” Zuckerberg was asked, “Why Newark?” He responded, “... really just because I believe in (Booker and Christie).”

Booker and Christie have also made strides to make government more open and accessible. Booker has avidly embraced Twitter and used the service to help direct cleanup efforts after a recent blizzard. (It should be noted that he personally shoveled for citizens all over the city.)  Christie has been no stranger to the spotlight, holding many forums that have showed his willingness to fight against the status quo. Videos capturing his often sharp tongue have gotten thousands of views on YouTube.

Clearly, Booker and Christie don’t have everything in common. They’re from opposing political parties and have different opinions on many issues. Also, they have their fair share of criticism — Booker, for recent police layoffs and perceived slowness of enacting change,  and Christie for his “bulldozer” tactics and clashes with unions.

However, the difference between them and many other politicians in our country is that they are willing to put politics aside to get work done for the people they serve. Let’s hope others take notice.

E-mail: biglehar@indiana.edu