Hollinden performs at the Bluebird

Hollinden

The last day of classes meant another “end-of-semester show” organized by music professor Andy Hollinden on Dec. 10 at The Bluebird Nightclub.

“I think the performance was really good. I think maybe one of our best ones yet, as far as just the tightness of the band.” Hollinden said, “I think the biggest difference is now the incorporation of Jenn Cristy.”

Cristy opened the show with a set of original music. She later made several appearances on stage during Hollinden’s performances. Cristy started working with Hollinden and the band last spring for the “Dark Side of the Moon” album when the band needed a female vocalist for the song “The Great Gig in the Sky,” which was performed at the show, along with “Time” and “Money.”

“She’s been worked into the band like a full member,” Hollinden said. “The original set that we did, that was the first time that she performed on those songs.”

The show also featured professor Glenn Gass, who appeared on stage in black with a fedora, sunglasses and an unlit cigarette and then proceeded to sing a cover of Elvis Costello’s “Watching the Detectives.”

Backed by the members of the band Atom Heart Mother, Hollinden performed a set of original music, along with a classic rock set, including a section of the Beatles’ 1969 Abbey Road.

Hollinden also chose specific music for the show that could showcase the saxophone and flute player Tom Clark. Clark and his flute took center stage during the band’s cover of Jethro Tull’s “Cross-Eyed Mary.”

“It’s always my favorite show of the year. I liked Jethro Tull ‘Cross-Eyed Mary’ because nobody covers ‘Cross-Eyed Mary,’ and they played a flute,” said senior Jordan Fenwick.

“There’s only two songs in rock and roll that use a glockenspiel,” Hollinden told the crowd. “One is by Hendrix, ‘Little Wing’ and the other is ‘Born to Run.’”

The crowd sang along to Gass’ other covers, which included The Beatles’s “Lady Madonna” and Bob Dylan’s “Like a Rolling Stone.” Gass ended his stage appearances with “Imagine,” a tribute to John Lennon, during which the crowd sang along.

“I think we really should have done more John Lennon songs,” Hollinden said. “I’ll admit that in planning for this gig, it didn’t occur to me that it was the 30th anniversary of his assassination.”

Hollinden closed the more than three-hour show with a cover of the Rolling Stones’ “You Can’t Always Get What You Want,” to which the crowd sang along to as well. When the song ended, the crowd knew it was time to go.

Longtime Rolling Stones fan and senior Marisa Markovich has been to two end-of-semester shows and said her favorite song of the night was “You Can’t Always Get What You Want.”

“It was great to see people I know covering it. If you’re 21 and can get into The Bluebird, there’s no reason for you to not be here,” Markovich said. “I don’t care if you’re studying for finals.”