Girls give more of the same good stuff, plus one

girls

“Broken Dreams Club” is the second release from San Fran surf-rock revivalists Girls and a follow-up to the highly lauded 2009 debut, “Album.”

As far as song writing goes, there is no obvious difference between the two; these six Americana-tinged songs of heartache, substances and heartache on substances would not be out of place at all on “Album.” And if you weren’t a fan of that one, then the first five songs here probably have little chance of winning you over.

But this extended play is more than just an afterthought to the superior debut; it represents a transition into a far more cleaned-up sound for the band. Compared to all of the fuzzed-out guitar parts on “Album,” the production here is crystal-clear, and much of “Broken Dreams Club” benefits tremendously from the extra effort.

“Carolina,” the 8-minute closer, is both the best example of this and one of singer-songwriter Christopher Owens’ most impressive accomplishments to date. It opens in 2009 fashion with four minutes of distorted guitar ambience accompanying Owens’ ambling baritone vocals, all in preparation for an exciting final 65 seconds of the EP that loudly exposes the contrast between old Girls and new.

If you’re willing to give them a chance, this is really the only song you need to hear.