US Rep. Baron Hill discusses election loss and post-congressional plans

Baron Hill

The last time Democratic Rep. Baron Hill lost an election was in 2004.
That year, he was defeated by Republican Mike Sodrel by only 1,425 votes, a mere 0.5 percent.

But with the sweeping national Republican shift in Congress that took place Nov. 2, Hill lost to Republican Congressman-elect Todd Young by a margin of roughly 10
percent.

“In terms of helping the economy and helping people, it was my party that did that,” Hill said. “Did we pay a political price for that? Yes, we did. But it had to be done.”
Now, with the end of his congressional career in sight, the five-term United States Representative is looking back at what he said he considers a successful time in office.

“I am content with my record,” Hill said. “I’m hoping that people of Indiana will see that as a positive thing.”

Hill said his greatest accomplishments as a congressman included authoring a bill that set higher fuel efficiency requirements for the automobile industry and co-sponsoring a bill that reinstated PAYGO. PAYGO requires congressional bills to be financed with current available funds instead of borrowing.

“I do have a lot of fingerprints on the new health care bill,” he said. “I was on the committee of jurisdiction of how that bill was going to be looked at, and so I feel good about having some influence in getting that passed.”

Beyond his own personal contributions, Hill said he is proud of the Democratic Party’s work during his most recent term, when the party had a majority in both the Senate and House of Representatives.

Hill said he considers the stimulus package, new homeowner tax credits, the “cash for clunkers” program and the automobile industry loans all to be successes and important for moving the country out of what he called an “economic disaster.”

“The problem was during the election the people didn’t see that. I’m hopeful that as we move forward the people will see that,” he said.

Hill is doing more than looking backward though. He’s also starting to think about his plans for the future, once his term in Congress is officially concluded in
January.

“I think it’s unlikely that I’ll run for an office in 2012,” Hill said. “Circumstances can change, but I can’t see a scenario that I would be a candidate for an office in 2012.”

Although that might be the case, he said he wants to make sure President Barack Obama gets re-elected two years from now.

“I talked to him after the election on Wednesday morning, and he told me that he did not want to lose touch with me and that he wanted to talk to me when he got back from Asia,” Hill said. “He’s over there now, and when he gets back I’m sure we’ll have a conversation, and we’ll see what his thoughts are.”

Although his plans for his future are still unsure, Hill said he will remain involved in politics. Because politics have consumed the majority of his adult life, he said he cannot imagine not being involved in some way.

He also said that in a perfect world, he would stay in Indiana.

“I love Indiana,” the Seymour, Ind., native said. “This is my home, and I’m hoping that I’ll be able to stay here. But I’ve got to make a living now, and I’ve got choices to make, and we’ll see what happens over the next couple months.”

Hill said his time representing the 9th District is one he will not regret.

“I enjoyed my time in Congress. I’m thankful to the people of southern Indiana for giving me the opportunity.”