Thrift store funds animal clinic

Sweet Repeats

Walking into the bargain section of the local thrift store Sweet Repeats, you can spot tiny porcelain carousels, mugs from St. Louis and El Paso and rows of paperback books, all donated to be sold for a good cause.

Sweet Repeats, located on South Walnut Street, is a nonprofit store that sells donated items to fund Pets Alive Nonprofit Spay/Neuter and Vaccination Clinic.

Posters on the wall of the main store read “Shopping here saves lives” and “The cats and dogs thank you.”

“Most shop for the bargains,” employee Michelle Lampley said. “But they’re so happy they’re helping a good cause.”

Pets Alive is a local clinic that employs two full time veterinarians to perform vaccinations and spaying or neutering services at low costs, Karen Turner, manager at Sweet Repeats, said.

The costs of spaying or neutering range from $30 to $55, depending on the type and sex of the animal.

Turner said the same services in a regular clinic or veterinarian’s office can cost anywhere from $80 to $200.

The clinic covers costs through donations and grants. Turner said Sweet Repeats, which began as a consignment store but now sells donations, has helped with funding.
Sweet Repeats was started in April 2009 by Karla Kamstra, who also works with Pets Alive.

“I had seen other nonprofits who had a lot of success,” Kamstra said.
Kamstra said she hopes the thrift store will be able to continue supporting Pets Alive and will also help the clinic meet future goals.

The store sells any items that are donated, from mugs and candles to jeans and furniture. Turner said the store recently opened a portion that sells everything for 50 cents. Books, clothes and other household goods can be found there.

In addition, the store sells flea and tick prevention medicines at reduced costs.
The store and the clinic have enjoyed success so far, Turner said.

As of Nov. 14, the clinic had performed 43,157 surgeries since its creation more than five years ago. Of those, 8,505 surgeries  were conducted this year.

Kamstra said one of the long-term goals is to create an animal sanctuary, which would house animals temporarily in the event that local shelters become overcrowded.

“Our goal is to treat animals who may never see a vet,” Turner said. “Some people just can’t afford it.”