Sharron Angle, Christine O'Donnell, Todd Young

Sharron Angle. Christine O’Donnell. Todd Young.

These three people represent the Republican Party during this election year. They, going in stride with the rest of the Tea Party, preach limited government, fiscal responsibility and the values free market economics brings to this country.

On paper, this Tea Party movement looks pretty good. It’s a body of people who want to positively change this country by preserving capitalism and eliminating the national debt.

But in politics, fiscal responsibility only represents half of what the voters care about come Election Day. And with the Tea Party’s consistent refusal to confront social issues head-on, this movement only confirms the assumption that this party believes in social inequality.

In fact, the Tea Party’s true platform rests on throwing America back to the so-called “Christian foundations” that formed this country in the first place.

Let the last statement resonate for a second. These candidates want this country to wipe away civil rights for anyone who does not identify with or support the Christian faith.

You think I’m making this all up?

On June 20, Indiana’s 9th District candidate Young said he didn’t believe women should have equal opportunities as men in the armed forces. He said having women in combat has “worked,” but in terms of expanding their roles of service, Young laughed off the thought and joked about Demi Moore’s role in “G.I. Jane.”

O’Donnell’s history is pretty gray as well. Following her win in the September primaries, her past came to life.

In a 1997 interview with C-Span, O’Donnell said people who contracted the HIV/AIDS virus deserved it because of their immoral behavior.

She also said people with the disease should not be considered victims and the money used to fight the disease would only continue the spread of the virus.

Finally, Nevada’s Senate candidate Angle is a woman of hypocrisy.

Besides the fact that she said abortion is “against God’s plan” (regardless of the circumstances), Angle said the United States is letting the Islamic faith invade this nation.

In an Oct. 7 rally, Angle used a television program to support her claim that Muslims were “taking over the United States.” In particular, she claimed Dearborn, Mich. was an epicenter for this invasion.

Then she dared to compare the situation to the post-WWII era, saying Muslims should be sensitive to American issues like the Catholic Church was sensitive to Holocaust survivors.

People like Young, O’Donnell and Angle have no place in our federal government system because they represent a demographic that is dying out in American society.

These last few years have been tough, but to resort to “original construction” would only anger voters and propel our already tarnished reputation in the international spectrum.

The last time I checked, this country didn’t have a national sexuality, an official religion or even a solidified gender from which to build. The Constitution was constructed during an era of progression. It was considered to be far left for that day and age.

The same thing goes with present day America. This nation is redefining itself, and the Tea Party movement will do nothing but prevent the country from excelling as leaders for this world.

That’s exactly why this election matters. If you pledge your support for these candidates, you’re in favor of a party who covers bigoted ideals with a fiscal blanket.

E-mail: dreander@indiana.edu