Q&A with Valerie Jones

Rather than being named Homecoming Queen, Valerie Jones became the first Ms. IU in 1978. From 1968 to 1977 there had not been any sort of Homecoming royalty because of the activist atmosphere of the time, but Jones helped change that. Jones told the IDS what it was like to be one of IU’s most controversial members of Homecoming royalty.

IDS What were your duties as Ms. IU?
Jones There weren’t many duties to being Ms. IU, at least on campus. Less than a dozen times Hudson Fortune (Mr. IU) and I were called to host a tour or attend an event.

But shortly after Homecoming, I was called by a large New York public relations firm inviting me to join homecoming queens from the rest of the Big Ten and the Presidents’ Athletic Conference Ten to be special guests at the New Year’s Rose Bowl week festivities on behalf of the Edison Foundation.

It was the 100th year anniversary of Edison’s light bulb, and they wanted us to ride their parade float, speak to schools and make appearances for the week leading up to the Rose Bowl.

Representing IU, I traveled to southern California with the 19 other women. What a week. We were on a pretty short leash, but with limos, stylists and wonderful handlers, “enlightened chaperones” they called themselves, it was a unique and fun experience, except for wearing that cowboy hat all day, every day, for an entire week.

As a telecom student, it was a treat to be “crowned” (rather, “cowboy-hatted”) by former IU Kappa Kappa Gamma and “Today Show” host Jane Pauley.
At the Friday night pep rally we rode on top of the fire truck on 10th Street. And when Jane Pauley crowned me, my Alpha Phi sorority sisters were screaming. It was an incredible experience.

IDS Why a cowboy hat?
Jones They didn’t want to do a crown because it was a little sensitive for that time. The crown was not going to stick with the whole atmosphere.

I don’t have facts at hand, but it was the first time in several years that they had Homecoming royalty because the ’60s was a real protest time. It was a time of questioning gender roles. It was a time of Gloria Steinem.

Feminism was newly defined and cut the pendulum swing. IU dropped the program and wanted to bring back this heritage to IU. Administrators of the Ms. and Mr. IU program were adamant about it not being a pageant. It was more about student involvement. It was kind of controversial, but it was such a good program.

IDS What did you learn from these experiences?
Jones I had my niche and group of friends, but when that happened I thought I knew a lot about Bloomington, but it opened up a lot for me. I compared my notes with 19 other women, and I was proud and amazed at how IU was compared to the other Big Ten schools.

IDS What do you miss about IU?
Jones I still love Nick’s (English Hut). I had to give up my bucket, but I still love Nick’s.