Q&A with Chris Lingner

Chris Lingner is a featured performer for The Baker Dances, one of four dances that make up A Choreographer’s Evening. He started dancing when he was 5 years old and was a member of the original cast of Hairspray. Here is what he had to say to the IDS about the upcoming performances.

IDS: What got you involved with this production, specifically The Baker Dances?

Lingner:
For this particular program, they brought in people from various different companies that set ballets. They take a look at us, and from there they decide who does what.

For The Baker Dancers, (choreographer) Josh Bergasse noticed me and wanted to use me.

He did the national tour of Movin’ Out, and I did as well, although not at the same time. ...so we had a similar background. His is a lot more extensive than mine, but we just had a similar movement quality.

That’s why he decided to feature me, I think. I don’t want to put words in his mouth, but I feel that it helped a little bit.

IDS: What does it mean to work with people that have the extensive background like Bergasse?

Lingner: It’s really inspiring. They know how to bring so much out of you and just make you a better dancer through the experience. Learning how people like that, when we want to go out and work professionally, we are better-suited and more prepared for what it’s really like out there.

IDS: What advice has Bergasse given you regarding your performances?

Lingner: He’s really helped me to really feel the music — become the music — through the movement.

His choreography really goes so well with David Baker’s music that was created for this piece.

When you see it, you can really feel the detail that goes into it — whether it’s sharp or soft in the moment. ...the accents and the down-beats. ...it’s really helped me get a feel for that kind of thing.

IDS:
In your featured performance, The Baker Dances, what comes across through the music, which Baker produced, that is used in this production?

Lingner:
There are three movements, none of them necessarily connecting. It’s like jazz band music.

The first movement, which is the one that I’m featured in, it’s like a murder-mystery. I almost think of a film-noir kind of feeling. ‘It was a dark and stormy night, and that’s when I saw the dead body.’ (chuckles).

The second movement, I’d say there is a very foxy feel to it. It’s very seductive. The ladies are on-point, but they’re doing very jazzy movement.

The third movement, it’s almost like a Latin party. It’s almost like a samba. It’s a lot of fun, and really upbeat.

IDS: What kinds of things should students expect from this performance?

Lingner: The performance as a whole would actually be a great way to get exposed to dance in general. We have a modern dance piece by Twyla Tharp, which is completely different than everything else.

We have two classical ballet pieces by George Balanchine. And, then, we have The Baker Dances, which is all kind of the jazz; some of it has sort of a Broadway feel to it.

So we have three different styles of dance. It’d almost be like a combo platter — you get a little bit of everything. It’d be a good way for people to figure out what they like.