Monroe County Democrats promote early voting

With a little more than a week left until Election Day, the Monroe County Democratic Party is continuing to push Bloomington residents to vote early.

The Democratic Party invited State Treasurer candidate Pete Buttigieg and State Auditor candidate Sam Locke to speak with Bloomington residents Saturday at the Bloomington Community Farmers’ Market.

“Come Election Day, who knows what could happen,” Ed Robertson, a deputy chairman for the Monroe County Democrats, said. “I’ve always been able to make it out to the polls, but some just can’t.”

The Farmers’ Market was decorated by party members. Huge arrows and chalked letters pointed passersby to the Curry Building, where early voters can cast their ballots Monday through Saturday until Election Day.

Interns for the party gave out blue balloons as people walked by, and the state candidates shook hands and answered questions from Bloomington residents.

“Early voting takes the burden off of Election Day,” Buttigieg said.

He said unexpected things can keep voters from making it to the polls, and early voting ensures that everyone’s vote can be heard.

“The more people that vote, the stronger our democracy,” Buttigieg said.

Buttigieg said some candidates have used early voting to avoid debates with their opponents. He said some use the excuse that most of their constituents have voted early to argue that a mid- to late October debate is not merited.

He also said early voting has changed the way candidates run. Because people may now vote through the entire month of October, candidates must have their views solid and well-known earlier than before.

“The finish is closer,” Buttigieg said.

Locke, an IU graduate, said he is glad to be back in Bloomington to urge people to vote early. He said more people will vote if they can do so at their convenience.

He also said it is good for students to get out to vote early, since many have classes on Election Day.

“It’s unfortunate that there isn’t a place to vote on campus this year,” he said.

Locke said he hopes to reach out to students here, since he is an alumnus. He is running for an office that has been occupied by Republicans for nearly three decades, he said, and he hopes to be a new voice for all Hoosiers.

He said Monroe County is very politically active, and he is always happy to talk to voters here.

“Monroe County really leads the way,” Locke said.