Local Democrats meet to discuss past success

Dems Presser

It will not be possible for Republicans to gain the majority in the Monroe County Council this election because the majority of Democratic Council members are running unopposed.

Regardless, the Democratic candidates for Monroe County Commissioner and Council met at the Monroe County Courthouse on Thursday to discuss the successes of Democratic control in Monroe County.

District 1 Council member Vic Kelson said Republicans have been accusing Democratic candidates of lacking concrete plans for fiscal responsibility and county planning.

“We’re here to set the record straight and give some information,” Kelson said.

County Commissioner Patrick Stoffers listed accomplishments made by the current County Council, including renovations of county facilities, the creation of the Vietnam Memorial outside the courthouse, and an energy conservation policy.

“I’d like to re-emphasize the fact that Monroe County has no debt,” Stoffers said.

Although Stoffers said Monroe County does not have a deficit, 58 out of 92 Indiana counties have debt liabilities. The average amount of debt for those 58 counties is $11,011,857.70.

Kelson also pointed out that Monroe County is the 11th most populous county in Indiana but is 70th in property tax rates.

“Indiana is a low property tax state,” Kelson said. “We are a low property tax county in a low property tax state.”

And there are extra funds saved by the county that many counties have lost in the poor economy.

As of Oct. 1, Monroe County had about $12.2 million saved in cash reserves, $4.2 million reserved in case income taxes do not yield as much as the projected amount and $1.8 million saved for special projects.

“We have a robust cash reserve that we’re going to need,” Kelson said. “We’ve been frugal in our spending.”

Sam Allison, a District 4 County Council candidate, said the council can be very proud of these numbers.

“I would love to be part of the team that produced these results,” Allison said.

Monroe County has also been successful to draw in business. The website www.forbes.com ranked Bloomington 16th in the nation for the best small towns to
do business.

Kelson said this effectively dismisses the claim of some Republican candidates that economic development is not important to the Democratic Council.

“We simply are not hostile to business,” Kelson said.

Kelson and Stoffers said they plan to invest their funds in the county in the future.

Stoffers said the money needs to be invested to help improve the economy just as funds were invested during the Great Depression.

“Rolling back spending is not the answer,” Stoffers said.

Kelson said the economic and social policies by this Council have proved effective, and they hope to continue to be able to manage Monroe County.

“The Monroe County Democrats have managed this county extremely well,” Kelson said.