Gay teen suicides: Bullying in high places

Teenagers find themselves in an ever-evolving identity crisis and adding sexuality throws fuel into the fire. While adults categorize this as teenage angst, the recent Andrew Shirvell scandal in Michigan reveals the online homophobia existing in the corporate world.

Chris Armstrong currently serves as president of University of Michigan’s student body and is the first openly gay person to serve in the school’s history.  Since being sworn in in March, he has been the target of Michigan’s Assistant Attorney General, Andrew Shirvell’s obsession.

Shirvell’s strategy to “expose Armstrong’s radical homosexual agenda” became clear during recent weeks and has received national coverage. He started a blog, Chris Armstrong Watch, detailing the day-to-day actions of the student leader. Shirvell went even further by harassing Armstrong’s friends and family members, videotaping him and describing his leadership as “Nazi-like.”

The absurdity is endless and yet, Shirvell still has his job. Michigan’s Attorney General, Mike Cox, has publicly criticized Shirvell’s actions to the local press, saying he was “clearly a bully” and his actions were “unbecoming.” But according to Cox, the obsession was not severe enough for employment termination because he was protected under his First Amendment rights.

The facts present a clear black and white case. Andrew Shirvell, a servant to the public, carries bigoted beliefs and an agenda to harass Armstrong until his presidential term is finished. Ethical boundaries are stretched and because Shirvell has not acted unlawfully, he continues this slanted monstrosity.

Federal action must be taken.

In early 2009, Representatives Linda Sanchez (D-CA) and Kenny Holshuf (R-MO) introduced The Megan Meier Cyberbullying Prevention Act, making any form of online harassment a federal crime. The bill has only reached the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism and Homeland Security but in light of recent tragedies, a swift action must be established.  

As for the Shirvell story, the assistant attorney general has since taken a paid personal leave of absence. Upon his return, Cox confirmed Shirvell will face a disciplinary hearing on his actions outside of the office. This hearing will not include his blog, but only the other attempts to “expose” Armstrong.

Cyberbullying’s effects goes unnoticed among older generations. The American youth has matured as a sort of “Viral Generation” where online communication carries as much weight as personal interaction. Kids cannot simply ignore incriminating messages because their peers carry these messages to reality. Teenagers cannot remove themselves from these worlds. Opportunities do not exist until graduation and for a 14-year-old, it’s a lifetime away.

E-mail: dreander@indiana.edu