Demonstrators march for Palestinian freedom

Walk for Palestine

Twenty-one students and Bloomington community members marched Saturday as part of the Free Palestine Walk 2010 in a nationwide effort to bring awareness to the Palestinian situation in Israel.

The Free Palestine walks are a part of the American Association for Palestinian Equal Rights Foundation, an activist organization that pushes for a U.S. policy to advance freedom and equal rights for Palestinians.

Similar demonstrations will be going on throughout October in more than 40 cities in 28 states. In 2009, the organization launched its first walk campaign, which raised more than $25,000.

The local Bloomington walk began at 11 a.m. outside the IU Auditorium and ended at the Monroe County Courthouse on Kirkwood Avenue.

“We are using this campaign and other activities to educate America about the situation in Palestine and help promote freedom and equality for Palestinians,” said Nada Akhras, this year’s Bloomington walk organizer.

Akhras, who was born in Palestine, said the issue really hits home for her.

“Since I came here to America, I have become more active about the conflict,” she said. “I am trying to help Palestinians to get freedom and equality.”

Senior Bridget Trent, coordinator of last year’s local walk, also marched Saturday.

“I decided to do a walk for the movement because unfortunately, I know that in the U.S., the political climate makes it really hard to have open discussions about the conflict overall,” Trent said. “I have had issues where I talk about Palestine, and people always assume that it is just terrorists, but there are very good people there and very bad people just like everywhere else.”

During the walk, drivers and pedestrians gave both waves and thumbs up to the walkers who carried a sign and wore shirts for the protest.

Steve Gulyas, an IU graduate, greeted the walkers in Arbaic to show support.

“I was saying what I have been told means ‘Hello, how are you? Have a nice day.’”