sports women's soccer

Women's soccer to face Nebraska on Saturday

Women's Soccer v. Western Michigan

After surviving a double overtime contest against Western Michigan on Wednesday, the Hoosiers (3-1-0) have little time to breathe as they prepare to face another challenger at home this Saturday.

IU will play Nebraska, one of the highest scoring teams in the country last season. The Cornhuskers averaged 3.1 goals per game in 2009. The game — the first meeting ever between IU and Nebraska — will take place at noon Saturday at Bill Armstrong Stadium.

But the Hoosiers may still be recovering from Wednesday’s marathon match. The game against Western Michigan stretched to two overtime periods before IU’s freshman defender Lara Ross hit the golden goal with two minutes remaining in the period.

The decisive moment occurred at a Hoosiers’ corner kick. Junior forward Carly Samp flicked the spot pass from sophomore forward Orianica Velasquez to Ross for a close-range shot that hit the upper right corner of the goal.

IU coach Mick Lyon said after the game that he was very happy with the victory and gave a lot of credit to the team effort displayed throughout the whole game.

Nebraska is 15-5-2 all-time against Big Ten teams. It has not met a Big Ten team since a game against Northwestern in 2008.

The Hoosiers will stay home for the remainder of September, and they will have their first conference game Sept. 24 against Northwestern.