We need more than two professions

Would a deck of cards work if all 52 cards were kings and queens? No. So why do we think society is any different?

Maybe I have a skewed perspective on this situation because I grew up in an environment in which any profession other than “doctor” or “lawyer” was looked down upon.

But it just seems like many of the people I encounter have an uppity, holier-than-thou attitude simply because they are planning to treat the sick or defend the accused, and therefore, anyone working with anything less than a life- or liberty-threatening situation is a waste of oxygen.

The reality of it is every job is important.

Society couldn’t function solely on doctors and lawyers. The world would be flooded with people who could prescribe you medicine and draw up a contract for you, but who would write your textbooks? Advertise your favorite brand’s newest products?

It’s puzzling when I come across people with that mindset, because it takes an education to effectively write books and newspapers, work for an advertising firm or perform any other white-collar job.

They might not have the same sense of urgency and ring of heroism as medical or law professions, but they are still integral cogs in the machine of modern society.
When it comes to blue-collar jobs, people turn up their noses even more and automatically assume anyone who works a blue-collar job is a redneck who contributes very little to society.

Yet, they’re the ones who help our daily lives run smoothly by working in grocery stores, gas stations, coffee shops, etc.

I highly doubt people would be willing to walk into McDonald’s and make their own Big Mac or stop by a nail salon and give themselves a pedicure.

There is such a strong stigma on being uneducated, yet the uneducated often perform the jobs we believe we are above.

Until the day technology becomes so advanced that those grocery stores, gas stations and coffee shops can be run without humans, we need people who are employed there.

This applies to the question of illegal immigration as well.

I am not a proponent of illegal immigration in any way, but I do respect the fact that illegal immigrants take on the labor-intensive jobs, such as farming, which most Americans are not willing to do.

We all rail against the poor quality of education in this country, but would we really be happy if it got better? Or would we complain about how there aren’t enough white-collar jobs anymore?

I am not suggesting that proponents of education reform toss their ideals out the window because I strongly feel our education system is need of an extreme makeover.
However, I do think upper-middle class America’s general disposition toward the less educated needs to be coupled with the understanding that all levels of education are somewhat necessary for the lifestyle we are all accustomed to.

Instead of only being impressed by doctors and lawyers, let’s extend our gratitude to everyone else who plays a part in everything we use in our lives.

E-mail: pkansal@indiana.edu