The Best of What You’ve Never Heard Of: Music

sloughfeg

Devin the Dude, rap/hip-hop
It’s fitting that Devin the Dude should be on this list, for if you know of Devin, you probably know him as the most perpetually under-rated emcee of the past 12 years. Reason being, the Dude grew up in the wrong time — he was ahead of the curve with simple rhymes about women, wine and weed (see Cudi, Kid) but lacked the hard street pedigree to reinforce his reputation. Still, his 1998 debut, “The Dude,” nabbed him an appearance on a Dr. Dre track and enough exposure that the Dude is still thriving as the face of today’s underground hip-hop scene. His bizarre flow mirrors the eclectic references and straight up weirdness in his tracks, making the Dude one of today’s most unusual rap characters.
WEEKEND Recommends: "What a Job feat. Andre 3000 and Snoop Dogg"

Ghostland Observatory, electro/funk  
For over half a decade, this Austin-based duo has unleashed upon the world some of the strangest, catchiest, most eclectic sounds anyone is ever likely to hear. The group consists of front man and occasional guitarist Aaron Behrens and Thomas Turner (known for his oversized metallic cloak befitting of a sci-fi movie) on drums and synthesizers, as well as serving as producer. The group’s music is constantly danceable and brings to mind artists ranging from Daft Punk, Talking Heads, Michael Jackson and MGMT. Their next album “Codename: Rondo” drops on Oct. 26.
WEEKEND Recommends: "Stranger Lover"

The Kinsella Brothers, emo/punk
From the depths of the punk/emo movement come Mike and Tim Kinsella, the influential artists of Cap’n Jazz. They play fast-paced, distortion-laden tunes that are quick, raw and effective. Anyone who claims they know anything about the beginnings of the punk and emo movements (and by “emo,” it’s not Hawthorne Heights or Simple Plan) needs to know Cap’n Jazz and recognize their significance. Since Cap’n Jazz, Mike has gone on to make bands such as American Football and Owen. Both projects are must-hears and will delight any Appleseed Cast or Death Cab for Cutie fan with incredible anthems and songwriting.
WEEKEND Recommends: Cap'n Jazz's "Oh Messy Life"

Slough Feg, heavy metal

In this retro-obsessed world where the likes of The Sword and Wolfmother fill theaters across the country, Slough Feg should be the biggest band in America. Alas, San Francisco’s premiere peddlers of classic heavy metal still toil in semi-obscurity and have yet to land an American record deal, let alone any with wide distribution.
“Ape Uprising!” was the band’s seventh full-length album and its best one yet. It’s still a potent cocktail of equal parts Thin Lizzy, Cirith Ungol, Manilla Road and Saint Vitus, but there is now an unmistakable Slough Feg sound.
WEEKEND Recommends: "Tiger! Tiger!"

Why?, rock/alternative hip-hop
Originally a rap-rock band, Why? executed an intriguing transformation into a percussion-heavy, rap-less five-piece indie rock band over its two most recent albums, “Alopecia” and “Eskimo Snow.”  Throughout its discography however, the band has remained centered around rapper/singer Yoni Wolf’s abstract, word-collage style lyrics.  The band’s style ranges from electric-guitar accompanied rap verses, such as on “Good Friday” or “Gnashville,” to jangly xylophone-charged jams like “A Sky for Shoeing Horses Under” or “Into the Shadows of My Embrace.”
WEEKEND Recommends: "Berkeley by Hearseback"

Anathallo, pop/rock
Creativity knows no bounds with Anathallo, which makes songs with an array of percussion and brass instruments , “renewing” the indie-rock genre.
WEEKEND Recommends: "Don't Kid Yourself, You Need a Physician"

Burial, electronic/dubstep
London-based Burial, aka William Bevan, has two critically acclaimed albums to its name and is widely credited with revolutionizing dub and 2-step.
WEEKEND Recommends: "Archangel"

The Cool Kids, rap/hip-hop

This Midwestern hip-hop duo is the master of a bare-basics approach to rhyming and wordplay.
WEEKEND Recommends: "What Up Man"

Deer Tick, folk
Deer Tick is an indie folk band specializing in blues-heavy laments fueled by singer-songwriter John McCauley’s tobacco-polluted growl.
WEEKEND Recommends: "Not So Dense"

The Good Life, folk/rock
Tim Kasher’s side project is just as melodically and lyrically impressive as his more popular group, Cursive.
WEEKEND Recommends: "Album of the Year"

Her Space Holiday, electronic

Her Space Holiday specializes in orchestral arrangements layered with light electronic beats to fit narrative lyrics.
WEEKEND Recommends: "Tech Romance"

Jay Electronica, rap/hip-hop
Yet to release a full-length album, Electronica is known for his ambitious, self-aware brand of original hip-hop.
WEEKEND Recommends: "Exhibit C"

Immortal Technique, rap/hip-hop

This Peruvian-American rapper’s vicious delivery and impressive beats are the perfect vessel for his socialist commentaries.
WEEKEND Recommends: "Harlem Streets"

Riverboat Gamblers, punk rock

This Texas punk outfit is known for frequent touring, sub-three-minute blasts of guitar-driven rants and vocalist Mike Wiebe’s high-flying stage antics.
WEEKEND Recommends: "Don't Bury Me...I'm Still Not Dead Yet"