Rugby team returns with veteran squad

The IU men’s rugby team finished second in the Midwest East Conference Championships in 2009, and this year the Mudsharks are looking to capture the title through hard work and sweat.

“The big thing about this year is that we only graduated three players last year,” head coach Tom Phillips said. “So our starting side, even our top 25 players, have been here for a couple years already, so we can start where we left off.”

Starting in 1962, the IU rugby team was one of three teams in the Midwest. Today, as one of the oldest collegiate programs in the region, the team holds a proud tradition of success.

“The rugby team is definitely like a family,” president Evan Kaufman said, “It is a great way to meet new people and represent the University at the national stage.”

On Thursdays, rookies treat the team to a meal at the food courts, and each Friday before games, the coach makes the team a home cooked meal.

“We basically eat together, sleep together, live together and take classes together,” junior Jay Hirsh said.

The team practices three days a week, and encourages new players to come play, even without experience. Kaufman said there are currently about 80 men on the roster, but estimates that by the end of the year there will be around 50.

For the fans without experience, there is a “Spectator’s guide to the Game” on the team’s website.

“Most people have no idea what a rugby game is like, but they’re high contact, high action, high energy and the crowd gets really into it,” Hirsh said.

One thing many spectators seem to take notice of is the rugby team’s short shorts.
“Once you wear short shorts, you never want to go back,” Kaufman said.

Kaufman isn’t the only team member to take to the uniform.

“I love them,” Hirsh added. “Once you don’t have that awkward tan line anymore, they don’t look that weird because people get used to them.”

While the team does like to joke around, they do have a serious side. This year, they’re looking to win on the national level, and Kaufman knows the team has a serious opportunity to win nationals. Phillips said the game to watch is against Bowling Green State.

“We have a lot of experience,” junior Brennan Olvaney said, “We’re expecting a lot from our team this season.”