Rugby Mudsharks win Big Ten Tournament

The IU men’s rugby team took home first in the Big Ten Tournament by defeating Michigan State, Wisconsin and Notre Dame this weekend in Elkhart, Ind.

The team outscored the three opponents 61-28. The IU Mudsharks beat Michigan State 15-5, Wisconsin 17-7 and Notre Dame 29-16.

“I feel like it was pretty well deserved, and we trained hard in practice,” sophomore Aaron Johnson said. “Everybody is putting time into the program.”

Johnson, along with four teammates, had previously won the rugby high school state championship on the same field in Elkhart. 

Senior All-American and team MVP Kyle Stroman was one of those teammates. Coach Tom Phillips said Stroman led the team this weekend.

“While I feel the entire team deserves the MVP as a group, I would award it to Kyle Stroman for making three break away tries to start our scoring in each of our matches and doing a great job of leading the team as our captain all weekend,” Phillips said in an e-mail.

While Stroman led the team in scoring with 15 points, junior Joe Young added 12 and junior Evan Kaufman added 10.

“We’re not going to slow down,” Kaufman said. “If we keep playing like that, we can beat anyone in the country.”

The Mudsharks face Notre Dame at 1 p.m. Saturday in Bloomington.

“I’m feeling extremely confident for the Notre Dame game this coming weekend,” Johnson said. “As a whole, our team is more conditioned and stronger than they are.”

Phillips said he is proud of his team’s performance.

“I was really proud of the way the team played this weekend,” Phillips said. “All weekend the team was focused and played solid tactical rugby.”