Kelley extends global arm with new institute, education grant

The Kelley School of Business will extend its global efforts through its newly instated Institute for International Business.

The institute will be composed of the Center for International Business Education and Research along with additional grant efforts and global programs on campus. The center recently gained a $1.55 million Title VI grant from the U.S. Department
of Education.

“With our widely recognized programs in social enterprise and entrepreneurship, this new institute in particular will enable us to further our already significant presence in major emerging markets,” said Dan Smith, dean of the Kelley School of Business, in a press release.

Smith also said the focus of the institute will be to assist women and small businesses in the Middle East and Latin America.

“The state department believes that if you give people economic opportunity that it will lessen their tendency to engage in terroristic activity,” said Idie Kesner. associate dean for faculty and research for Kelley.

The initiatives will be targeting emerging markets in these regions with the hope of benefiting local economies and giving women a more prominent presence in society,  Kesner said.

“We’re trying to create a novel opportunity for women to help them support their families, but in a way this challenges cultural norms,” Kesner said.
Kesner also said the cultural and societal differences are being taken into consideration as the institute develops its initiatives.

“We anticipate that there could be resistance, and we’re trying to mitigate that in advance,” Kesner said.

IU alumnae and current Kelley students will help facilitate the business ventures in cultures where women are not generally part of the working society.

Kesner also said IU’s deeply-rooted international initiatives, cultural diversity, advanced technology and ability to communicate worldwide will be of assistance.

Programs such as GLOBASE have sent MBA students to Peru for consulting projects at small companies and non-profit enterprises while other students have traveled to and met with business and government leaders in India, China, Korea, Ghana, Brazil and other nations.

“We’re definitely after those that are more progressive with their thinking, especially towards women,” Kesner said. “Even though there are regional similarities, you have to be willing to tailor your efforts to each country.”