Film as spectacle (and nothing else)

ebert3d

You’ve probably noticed that 3-D movies are a big deal right now. After a short-lived stint in the 1950s, the technology has been revived and cleaned up. Pass by any multiplex, and chances are a 3-D film will be listed on the marquee.

Although 3-D might just seem like the next logical technological advance in film, it could potentially change the kind of movies we are able to see and not necessarily in a good way.

Past advances in film, such as the move to sound films and then to color film stocks, have forever changed the way we view movies. They opened up previously inaccessible doors. Defenders of 3-D films often use the same argument, but it’s a false one.

Other than the occasional student film and some magnificent stragglers from Charlie Chaplin, sound was here to stay after first being introduced in the 1920s. Commercial films benefited from the new dimension in entertainment, while art films were also afforded new opportunities. The same was true of color photography in films. Most filmmakers can suit their creations to color, but the option of black and white still exists when necessary.

Now 3-D is back after that first hiccup, but it’s not poised to be transformative like those previous advances. Although sound and color might have been developed for financial gains, they were adopted by all artistic persuasions; so far, 3-D has been used almost exclusively for big budget blockbusters (plus the occasional nature documentary). The argument that 3-D is new and hasn’t caught on yet is disingenuous; we’ve known about it for decades.

A. O. Scott of the New York Times pointed out in a piece begrudgingly accepting the current 3-D frenzy that no serious dramas have been released in 3-D. Its gimmicky nature isn’t predisposed to anything serious. Most 3-D films throw in obligatory and cheesy effects. Roger Ebert, an outspoken critic of 3-D, has pointed out one of its major technical flaws. Due to the dark glasses, 3-D films lose the brightness and striking colors of their 2-D brethren. But who cares about colors when you can have stuff that looks like it’s flying right at you!

Perhaps 3-D can be confined to horrible blockbusters, never to impinge on good films. But somewhere, a film executive smells money.

Like blood in the water, sharks will flock. Coming soon: “Casablanca” in 3-D.