Creek, Roth ready to rebound from injury

Creek & Roth

Playing without your most consistent 3-point shooter is tough.  

Doing it without the nation’s top freshman scorer is another story.

But after months of rehabilitation from injuries, junior guard Matt Roth and sophomore guard Maurice Creek are finally healthy and ready to make an impact for the Hoosiers.

“I’m just feeling really good right now, about 90-95 percent,” Creek said. “Rehabbing was tough at first, but they said I would make it through. I made it through.”

The sophomore guard fractured his left knee against Bryant University in December and was forced to undergo season-ending surgery. Before suffering the injury, Creek was the Big Ten’s top freshman scorer at 17.6 points per game.

With his return, IU regains its most potent and versatile player.

Creek can score from anywhere on the court — he shot 53 percent from the floor — and can defend almost every position because of his long arms.

But after last season’s injury, that go-to scorer wasn’t available for the Hoosiers. Junior guard Verdell Jones filled in, scoring 14.9 points per game, but his main strength is as
a playmaker.

Adding Creek to the lineup again will provide IU with someone to give the ball to at any point of the game.  He hopes to prove that his 31-point performance against Kentucky last year isn’t a thing of the past.   

Creek said he is confident he will be as good this season as he was in 2009.

“It shouldn’t take too much time, I still know how to play the game,” Creek said. “It’s a matter of work. I should be able to go out and be as good as I was last year. That’s my goal.”

Roth said he also believes he will be ready for the season opener against Florida Gulf Coast on Nov. 12.  

“I feel like I’m 100 percent and just trying to continue to improve as a basketball player,” Roth said.  “I can’t wait for it to get here.  It seems like it’s been a long time coming, but I’ve been working hard and I’m ready for the season.”

The junior sharpshooter broke the fifth metatarsal in his right foot during a practice at a tournament in Puerto Rico last fall.  Forced to immediately have surgery, Roth sat out all but the first two games of the season.

Early in the rehab process he used stimulators to grow the bone back to its original size.  Once there was enough stability in the bone, Roth worked on balancing on the foot again.  It wasn’t until later in the spring that he truly did not feel any pain.

This summer Roth was finally able to run full speed and participate in all basketball activities.  

“Once I got to 100 percent and felt confident with myself, I just tried to build my game as if I had never been injured,” Roth said.  

Though he isn’t the top scorer on IU, Roth’s presence on the court alone brings a different identity to the Hoosiers.  

Without a true perimeter threat in 2009 — IU ranked 10th in 3-point field goals made and did not have an individual player in the Big Ten’s top 15 — the Hoosiers were forced to attack mostly inside or settle for mid-range shots.  

But by adding Roth back into the mix, IU has that consistent outside option.  His 37.3 percent shooting from long distance as a freshman forced opposing defenses this season to constantly watch for him. This will help spread the floor and allow IU coach Tom Crean’s offense to run more smoothly.     

Roth believes his hard work will be evident this season.

“I’m looking forward to getting out there and putting in the work this year,” Roth said.  “I just want to move forward.”