Clooney is man with no name

american

We Americans like our thrillers to be loud, fast and violent. “The American” is rarely any of these things, and yet, it is one of the best made thrillers of recent years.
George Clooney has made a name for himself playing variations of the same character. Although usually intense, his characters are softened by a humor and charm that instantly attract audiences. We wish we could be Clooney, who can glide through any situation imaginable unscathed.

His character in “The American” is different. Gone is the charisma, gone is the humor. The man, sometimes known as Jack, other times Edward, is focused and severe. His life is devoted to his profession with his few bits of free time devoted to dispensable prostitutes.

The profession in question is assassin and weapon supplier. After a vacation tragically cut short, Jack/Edward flees to Italy where he has been given a new job: to make a rifle for an assassination.

While hiding out in a remote village to craft the rifle, the man of no name starts a relationship with a prostitute. In time, she seems to truly care about him. As is always the case, things are complicated by relationships, and this one puts Clooney in danger.

The film, directed by Anton Corbijn, is never lacking in dazzling visuals. Throwaway shots are nonexistent, and even the most mundane locations are treated as if they contain a hidden majesty.

Some have criticized Clooney’s character as being too cold and distanced, and therefore hard to identify with. However, this is not a man to identify with, and a warmer person would be out of place as the solitary weapon maker.

Although it eschews cheap thrills, “The American” is expert at crafting an all-encompassing feeling of suspense.