Big Red's popularity still strong 38 years later

Big Red Liquors

Where there’s a college town, there are college parties. Where there are college parties, there is alcohol. And someone needs to supply it.

“Big Red Liquors accounts for a little less than one-third of the liquor sales in Bloomington,” said Wade Shanower, president of Big Red Liquors.

Shanower said while most people think Big Red has control of the alcohol supply in Bloomington, there are a lot of other outlets for carry out service, such as Kroger, Marsh, CVS, Village Pantry and other convenience stores. Shanower added that there are also six to eight county bars in Bloomington that have carry out licenses and compete with Big Red.

Senior Melissa Slavin said she primarily shops at Big Red not only because it is within walking distance from her home, but also because it is less expensive than buying from other liquor carry out services.

“I can get a handle of Captain for $20 at Big Red and over at Kroger it’s $30,” Slavin said.

Big Red Liquors, which began in 1972, is rounding its 38th year in business. Although there are 20 stores located throughout Bloomington, Terre Haute, Martinsville, Bedford and French Lick, Shanower said it is not a franchise since there is no franchising allowed in the liquor business in Indiana.

A liquor store can only be opened inside city limits in Indiana and licenses within cities are based on allocation. Shanower said there is about one license for every 8,000 people in a city, and all state licenses are currently in use. Currently, the only way to open a new liquor store would be to buy an already existing one.

“It is very difficult to open a liquor store of any size,” Shanower said.
Shanower said liquor licenses with existing stores range in price depending on the size of the city. In Bloomington, for example, he said it would be about $150,000 for a license, while Carmel or Noblesville would have more expensive licenses, ranging from $300,000 to $400,000.

After obtaining the license, a store still needs a building, shelves, equipment, refrigerators and inventory. All together, Shanower estimates that opening a liquor store would cost about $750,000 to $1,000,000.

There are about 20 Big Red Liquors with about $175,000 worth of inventory in each store, Shanower said. Smaller stores can range from $50,000 to $75,000, and larger stores that have the highest inventory run from $750,000 to $800,000 worth.

“There are aisles and aisles of liquor, beer and wine,” Slavin said.
Big Red also carries sodas and shot glasses, which makes it a one-stop shop for party needs.

Tommy Mosier has been the manager of Big Red Liquors at Second and Walnut Street for three years. He notes the wide variety of customers in the many college students who shop there, along with an older crowd as well.

Shanower said Big Red competes with anyone who sells liquor. However, he said he thinks Big Red has become and remained so popular among consumers because it offers competitive pricing, has wide selections of liquor, wine and beer and has trained personnel who run nice, clean stores.

“At Big Red you have everything you need for a fun time,” Slavin said.