sports women's soccer

Women's soccer posts weekend split

After losing a rough battle to Kentucky on Friday, the IU women’s soccer team bounced back and finished the weekend with a dominating victory against Butler on Sunday.

Despite claiming advantages in shots attempted and corner kicks, the Hoosiers (2-1) could not translate their statistical advantages into a victory against the Wildcats (2-0), who started quickly and rendered IU unable to make a difference.

It took just four minutes for Kentucky to score. The Wildcats intercepted an IU pass along the sideline and centered the ball, which allowed Kentucky forward Natalie Horner to record her first goal of 2010.

The Hoosiers tried to retaliate, shooting eight times in the first half and applying defensive pressure on the field, but another Kentucky goal in the 71st minute put IU’s efforts in vain. Kentucky forward Kelsey Hunyadi dribbled along the endline and took the shot, which deflected off an IU defender and went into the goal.

IU shot 10 times in the second half, including four attempts on goal, but Kentucky goalkeeper Sydney Hiance shut the door on any effort on the Hoosier end to score.
Hiance registered eight saves during the Wildcats’ 2-0 victory.

The Hoosiers didn’t need much time to bounce back from their first loss.                              

IU coach Mick Lyon said in-state games were always challenging but winnable, and Sunday, the Hoosiers used a 6-0 road win against in-state rival Butler to confirm their
coach’s words.

In addition to netting six goals, IU prevented the Bulldogs from scoring. A 19-6 advantage in shots attempted contributed heavily to the win.

IU struck first blood in the 26th minute in the game as sophomore forward Orianica Velasquez scored her second goal of the season.

The Hoosiers’ five other scores came in the second half as Butler Alumni Day turned into to a dominating Hoosier win.

Junior midfielder Devon Beach scored her first goal of 2010 two minutes after the second-half kickoff with an assist from Velasquez.

In the 59th minute, a red card on Butler goalkeeper Olivia Walter allowed IU junior forward Carly Samp to score on a penalty kick.

The Hoosiers’ final three goals came in the last 15 minutes. Beach, senior forward Darby Hannon and freshman defender Lara Ross added the remaining scores.

IU returns to their home field Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. to play Western Michigan.