Eli Lilly and Co. halts Alzheimer’s drug production

Six years ago, Morris Krueckeberg began to forget about plans he had made with his wife. Then, he began to forget the names of his friends and family members.

Morris was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease. Today he cannot walk to another room without forgetting why he was going there and needs constant care from his wife, Naomi, his family and health care professionals.

Eli Lilly and Co., a pharmaceutical company based in Indianapolis, began research for a breakthrough Alzheimer’s treatment in 2008.

Alzheimer’s is a form of dementia that causes a decline in cognitive function, which refers to memory, comprehension, language, learning and judgment, according to the World Health Organization. 

Last week, The New York Times reported that Eli Lilly had stopped phase three
clinical trials.

The leading theory is that a buildup in the brain of a protein called amyloid causes
Alzheimer’s disease.

Eli Lilly’s treatment was intended to reduce amyloid and improve cognitive function.
But when patients taking a placebo were compared to those taking the experimental drug, the experimental group showed less ability to perform daily functions, and their cognitive functioning had worsened, according to Alzheimer’s Association research.

Dr. Martin R. Farlow, the Clinical Core Leader of the Indiana Alzheimer Disease Center, has patients who were part of Eli Lilly’s study and said the result was not unexpected.

The failure of this drug doesn’t mean the theory that buildup of amyloid causes Alzheimer’s is incorrect, Dr. Farlow said.

“The drug had very specific characteristics, and it may be the failure is related to the characteristics of the drug,” Farlow said.

Gina N. Farrar, Alzheimer’s Association Greater Indiana Chapter communications specialist, has handled much of the Association’s response to Eli Lilly’s decision. Members of the Association are disappointed with the results of the study, however, they remain optimistic about future preventative strategies, Farrar said in
an e-mail.

“There are so many unknowns, which highlights the need for more research,”
Farrar said. Naomi Krueckeberg hears about treatment options and research for Alzheimer’s, but after years of no results, she said she stopped listening.

“He takes two medications to slow it down, though why anybody would want to slow it down, I don’t know. No one wants to live with this. It hurts to see him like this,” Naomi Krueckeburg said.

For people living with Alzheimer’s, including Morris Krueckeberg, the failure of the experimental drug means many years of waiting for a cure — years that many of them do not have to spare.

“It’s hopeless,” Naomi Krueckeburg said.