These Gaga guys have guts

semi weapons

Dirt under his finely manicured nails, charcoal smeared on his eyes and glittered heels give Justin Tranter the potential to be the most outrageous rock frontman music has seen in years.

Though “You Love You” is the band’s first major label LP, Semi Precious Weapons already has a cult following. The band is currently opening for Lady Gaga on her 2010 Monster Ball Tour — and before that, she was opening for them.

Lady Gaga serves as an executive producer on “You,” and although the genre is different from her own, the Lady’s seal of approval is definitely welcome.

The hard edges of the album’s nine-song set list are laced with lyrics about diamonds, mascara and champagne. This is true glam rock.

Fortunately, that rough-and-tough, fabulous-and-fierce attitude works for much of the album. Most of the tracks, like the band’s self-titled song, are full of bravado and fun that’s immediately contagious.

The album’s few low points come in the form of shoddy lyrics, but the Weapons redeem themselves elsewhere.

Surprisingly, some of the album’s best moments are when Tranter and his trio show their softer side. “Look At Me” and “Leave Your Pretty to Me” erase any notion that these guys might be simple over-sexed party animals. They’re real artists.