Obama handled Russian spy episode adeptly

Obama Powers

Although President Obama has been plagued with foreign policy crises ranging from Israeli-Palestinian relations to Somali pirates, none have been quite as intriguing as the recent spy episode.

Last Friday, in what seemed to be a scene straight out of a Cold War-era James Bond movie, the United States and Russia exchanged captive spies on an isolated tarmac in Vienna. Chuck Norris’ presence at the exchange has not been confirmed.

The 10 Russian spies, including a real-life Bond girl, were arrested last month in Manhattan after a decade-long investigation for fear they would flee the country this summer.

When Obama was briefed on the investigation in June, he faced a potential foreign relations nightmare in trying to stabilize relations with Russia while defusing an explosive situation.

The swap emerged as a brilliant solution to a foreign policy dilemma. The Russians seemed to agree, as they offered one sleeper agent money and benefits to consider the deal.

Russo-American relations have been fraught with controversy since World War II. Even though the Middle East has been our contemporary foreign policy focus, Russia has been and will continue to be of paramount importance to U.S. interests.

Espionage in particular is a sensitive subject in foreign policy. Obama demonstrated great acuity by contacting Moscow and presenting Russian officials with the evidence immediately following the arrests.

The Russians responded favorably by acknowledging the agents as Russian nationals and promising to prevent any retaliatory action taken against imprisoned American spies.

While Obama has been questioned about his lack of foreign policy experience, I believe this incident has made it clear that he has the wisdom and diplomatic skill necessary to handle even the most volatile international incidents.

E-mail: halderfe@indiana.edu