'Mad Men' Season 4 preview

the maddest

“Mad Men,” AMC’s flagship show, has always excelled at giving viewers a glimpse into the demanding, misogynistic and sometimes soulless world of advertising. Don Draper represents male fantasy at its most extreme: He is attractive and successful, with mistresses at every turn, yet is able to return to his beautiful wife and children each night. However, the end of season three brought Draper’s world crashing down, and now he must piece together a new one.

The main story line that dominated the end of the third season was the sale of Sterling Cooper. The British agency that had only recently purchased the Sterling Cooper just as quickly decided to ditch it after cleaning up affairs. Not ready to give up on everything they have worked for, Don, Roger Sterling and Burt Cooper clandestinely steal their client files and start a new agency in a hotel suite. Now that Draper and co. have started a new agency, who will be hired for the new group is up for grabs. This will surely be the focus of much of season four.

As Don’s business has collapsed, so has his family. After Betty found out about Don’s true identity, her affair with Henry only intensified, culminating in her leaving for Nevada to arrange a divorce. January Jones, who plays Betty, is featured throughout season four, so it probably won’t be a simple divorce.

Season three was in many ways a creative high for the “Mad Men” makers. The show had never been better at dealing with burgeoning social issues, like Sal’s homosexuality or President Kennedy’s assassination. The writing remained at its usual level of excellence, but the visuals surpassed their normal high. The Italian vacation echoes Antonioni at his most beautiful.

Undoubtedly full of intrigue, season four is sure to hook viewers.