Bloomington businesses recognized for excellence

Three Bloomington businesses were recently recognized as some of the best places to work in Indiana.

Computerworld magazine recognized IU’s Information Technology Department as one of the “Best Places to Work in IT,” while the Indiana Chamber of Commerce awarded Contact by Design and Employment Plus, Inc. with recognition as two of the “Best Places to Work in Indiana.”

Contact by Design was listed as the fifth-best company in Indiana with 50-249 employees. Employment Plus, Inc. was ranked 15th in the same category.

Though Jon Jeffries, vice president of Human Resources and Risk Management at Employment Plus, Inc., was humbled by the award, he said he was not surprised by the honor.

“People who are satisfied at work produce more satisfied customers,” Jeffries said.

Jeffries said this award is representative of employee satisfaction based on an extensive survey they completed for the nomination.

Employment Plus, Inc.’s staff filled out surveys in January. The survey’s questions regarded employee satisfaction, benefits and vacations.

The company works with employers in local markets around Indiana to provide them a cost-effective alternative to staffing their companies. Based on resumes and interviews, Employment Plus, Inc. tries to match staff to employers. The company is a full-service staffing agency, and Jeffries said he works hard with all employees to provide satisfaction at the job site.

“I’m excited about the award, as it is indicative of who we are at the heart of the organization,” Jeffries said.

Principal Systems Administrator Kristy Kallback-Rose at University Information Technology Services received  bachelor’s degrees in physics and Japanese from IU but was somehow lured into IU’s IT department. She said she enjoys the variety of work she is given and is now participating in a workshop with LEGO Mindstorms, a programmed robot.

“I enjoy working with a diverse group of people — from recent graduates to those have been with the company for 25 years,” Kallback-Rose said.

IU employs 1600 IT workers at all campuses, not including IU-Purdue University Fort Wayne. IU-Bloomington’s IT Department employs just under 800 people who were randomly selected to participate in the surveys.

“Our motivation is recognition not only from a recruitment standpoint, but more importantly for those people who currently work here,” said Debby Allmayer, human resources officer in the Office of the Vice President for IT at IU-Bloomington.

Allmayer said she enjoys working every day, as her job is constantly changing and presenting new challenges for her and her team.

Allmayer works in Bloomington and travels to Indianapolis to work with staff at IU-Purdue University Indianapolis. Working with different people keeps things interesting, she said. Her co-workers bring new outlooks to projects and other endeavors.

“This award recognizes us as a resilient and strong company in Indiana,” Allmayer said.