‘Art of Jazz’ show on display at The Venue

As an integral part of the West Coast jazz scene in the 1950s, bassist Max Hartstein played with such jazz legends as Bob Cedar, Leroy Vinnegar and Buddy Parker.

Along the way, Hartstein also honed his skills as an artist, capturing the essence of his fellow musicians in a series of pen and ink drawings.

Thirty-six of these drawings are now on display at The Venue Fine Art & Gifts gallery, where a reception was held Friday for “The Art of Jazz.”

Walking into the gallery, guests were greeted by the cozy ambiance of The Venue’s rooms filled with art, jewelry and various types of gifts. In the background, the smooth sounds of Hartstein’s 25th Century Jazz Ensemble filled the air as guests made their way into the room showcasing his drawings.

Refreshments provided by The Venue complemented the open atmosphere, where various citizens of Bloomington and passers-by could casually chat about the drawings and what had brought them to The Venue that evening.

“One thing I love about Bloomington is all of the art, of all kinds, that is available,” Bloomington resident Linda Barchet said.

Anyone curious to learn more about Hartstein or the drawings themselves could speak with gallery curator Gabe Coleman.

“For being quick drawings, they’re really incredible,” Coleman said. “They have a lot of information, but it’s very simply put.”

Upon closer examination of the drawings, Coleman’s comment rings true. Each sketch contains several quickly drawn penstrokes that culminate in an intimate depiction of Hartstein’s musical companions.

The portraits on display featured jazz greats such as Lee Katzman and Bill Summers.

Some of the other drawings included images of ensembles playing at various venues, particularly the Jazz Cellar, where Hartstein often played. Still others included depictions of the crowds in the venues listening to music.

Just as the drawings of the musicians left viewers with a feeling they knew the players intimately, the images of patrons at the Jazz Cellar and other locales offer the sensation that they were in that place and time, listening to Hartstein and his friends.

“These drawings really have a sense of motion in them, and musical motion as well,” Coleman said. “They really capture the essence of the musicians and the crowd.”

Max Hartstein’s drawings will continue to be on display for the next two weeks at The Venue, and the images are available for sale.