Locals discuss how to make city eco-friendly

kjhl

Bloomington is on its way to becoming a greener city.

A panel of area leaders met in front of a small audience Tuesday evening at the Monroe County Public Library to discuss how to implement practical applications of clean energy in the Bloomington area.  

The event was spearheaded by Repower Indiana as a part of its American Clean Energy Now Tour, a nonpartisan movement calling for energy and climate policies that will help advance to more sustainable living.

Dave Rollo, a member of the Bloomington City Council, began the discussion by describing steps the local government is taking to improve conservation efforts.  

The council is in the midst of increasing public transportation with a new bus system and is also encouraging developers to go green with newly revised building ordinances, Rollo said.  

Despite these important steps, Rollo said, “Bloomington is known as a green city, but we have a long way to go to achieve sustainability.”

The conversation shifted from government and businesses to the need for action at the level of the individual.  

“The first step people need to take is to educate themselves over how they are impacting their environment in their daily lives,” said Mrim Boutla, associate director of
Graduate Career Services at the Kelley School of Business.

Boutla offered various sources for education, including a free online video called “The Story of Stuff.”

Most of the solutions offered were said to be simple. Riding a bike, using less power, recycling and talking to other people about environmental issues are among the steps individuals can take to have a positive impact on the environment.  

“The problem is people’s unwillingness to change,” Boutla said.

One audience member said, “I was at a local garden yesterday with fresh vegetables that no one was using.”  

Self-reliance is something that panel member, Ann Kreilkamp, founder of Green Acres Neighborhood Garden, was familiar with.

“(In ten years) I want to see a garden on every lawn,” she said

The Gulf disaster was mentioned frequently throughout the discussion, with hopes that it would inspire people to change.

“Look what happens when our current energy sources fail,” Rollo said. “What would happen if a giant windmill failed?”