Hoosiers add forward walk-on

From IDS Reports

Less than a month after signing junior college transfer Guy Marc-Michel, the IU men’s basketball team made another addition in an effort to deepen its frontcourt.

Jeff Howard, a 6-foot-8 forward from Westfield, Ind., announced he will join the Hoosiers as a walk-on freshman this fall.

“Before I really ever thought about playing basketball in college, I knew I wanted to go to IU,” Howard said. “The fact that I wanted to go to school there before, and now that can play basketball too — it was just a really good opportunity that I didn’t want to pass up.”

Howard averaged a double-double during his senior season at Westfield High School, scoring 16.8 points per game and pulling down 12.9 rebounds per game.
Howard said he believes he can use his style of play and work ethic to be a positive addition to IU’s roster.

“I can score the ball, but I’m also a really unselfish player,” he said. “Even if I play in the post, I think I have some good passing abilities, which I definitely exhibited this past year to find my teammates for a lot of good, open looks.

“And basically just my hard work — I ... work hard in practice every day to make myself better, as well as the rest of the team.”

The Hoosiers have been looking for more bodies up front to grab more rebounds and establish themselves inside.

IU coach Tom Crean mentioned that adding more big men would be a priority in the coming seasons and that he has searched the junior college ranks extensively.

The additions of Marc-Michel and Howard add more depth to the frontcourt positions.
Howard also said he had seen Cook Hall, IU’s new basketball practice facility and was impressed.

“It’s definitely an extremely nice place,” he said. “I’ve played in there with the guys some. I’ve seen most of it. It’s really nice, and it definitely shows that everyone’s serious.”

— Drew Allen