sports baseball

Dickerson reflects on success

Alex Dickerson is a force to be reckoned with.

The 6-foot-3, 210-pound left-fielder is only a sophomore, but he has won awards most college baseball players only dream about — and takes it all in stride.

“He’s a very, very humble, hardworking kid,” IU coach Tracy Smith said. “He goes about and does his business every single day with no complaint, with no drama. He’s very professional in his approach.”

Most recently, Dickerson was named Louisville Slugger First Team All-American by College Baseball Newspaper, adding to his already impressive resume.

Dickerson was the first player in IU history to win Big Ten Freshman of the Year and Big Ten Player of the Year in consecutive seasons. He was also part of the Second Team All-Big Ten, a third team All-Mideast Region selection, and a recipient of Freshman All-America honors from Collegiate Baseball and the National Collegiate Baseball Writer’s Association.

“I just want to be known as the guy that played his best and came in playing his best every single day,” Dickerson said. “That’s all I could ask to be remembered for. I never really defined who I am based on awards, just how I play every day.”

In his second season at IU, Dickerson won the first Triple Crown in the Big Ten Conference in 23 years. Dickerson is also one of 38 players in the nation to be invited to the USA Baseball’s Collegiate Team Trials. If selected, Dickerson will join 21 other players to compete against international teams in the United States, Taiwan and Japan. Additionally, he is one of 25 players nationally to be a semifinalist for the 2010 Dick Howser Trophy, an award presented yearly to the top collegiate baseball player by the National College Baseball Writers of America. Dickerson also received All Big-Ten Tournament Honors.

“My dad brought me up this way,” Dickerson said, “to never settle for small accomplishments — just always trying to get better.”

He intends on doing whatever it takes to get better, saying he is striving to continue baseball after his college career.

“Ever since I was a little kid, I always thought about being a major leaguer, how great it would be,” Dickerson said. “I’ve always loved the sport. There was never a moment where I chose it. I just said I was going to be the best I can be and see how far it goes.”