Carroll committed the perfect college crime

As we saw firsthand during the winter of 2008, this is what happens when slime is brought into collegiate athletics.

It’s only fitting that the NCAA hit the USC football program with a 2-year postseason ban, a loss of 30 scholarships, and a required vacancy of all wins from December 2004 to January 2006, after an investigation found former running back Reggie Bush received improper benefits from individuals outside the program.

USC could have employed self-imposed sanctions, like its basketball program did after the O.J. Mayo debacle. Instead, the program decided to state it had no knowledge of the infractions. The school does, however, plan to appeal the NCAA’s findings.

So what is to blame? Coaches’ knowledge, or lack thereof? Too much player-agent interaction?

That question couldn’t be more irrelevant. The NCAA’s point to agents and players is simple: If he offers and you accept, your program will get hit — hard.

They say karma’s a you-know-what. USC coach Lane Kiffin bolted from Tennessee much like his mentor fled from USC and would have been subject to investigation had he stayed there, due to alleged  violations during his seven-win season.

Either way, Kiffin’s job at USC has just become a little tougher. Remember, he was part of Carroll’s staff from 2001 to 2006, back when Bush received the improper benefits, and therefore part of the problem. Think he’s not on the NCAA’s radar now?

With the smack of the NCAA’s hand, motivating his players will become more difficult, as they have no postseason to play for. Gaining the confidence of USC officials will become harder, and selling the school to future recruits will become a lot tougher.

But let’s not forget Carroll’s hand in the problem. Did he want to get back into the NFL sometime? Probably.

There was no better opportunity for Carroll to pull the “right time” card, because it was only a matter of time until he saw the storm that was brewing in the Pacific Ocean.