world

UK elections end in coalitions

Just last Thursday, citizens from the United Kingdom took to the polls, casting their votes in the 2010 election. The results—305 Conservative, 258 Labour, and 57 Liberal Democrat seats in Parliament—came as no great surprise as public opinion polls leading up to the vote had indicated the definite possibility of the election resulting in a hung parliament.

However, few would have predicted the events of aftermath.

With no party holding the official majority in parliament, the leaders of each of England’s major parties were left to deal with the shift in numbers.

In hopes of bringing a shift in policy, the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats are working to negotiate a plan to form a sort of coalition, joining forces to create a new government for the UK after thirteen years of the Labour party holding the power.

In light of these events and in anticipation of the changes to come, former Labour Party leader and British Prime Minister Gordon Brown announced his official resignation on Tuesday, leaving Conservative party leader David Cameron to follow him.

Announcing his resignation publicly outside of his office at 10 Downing Street in London, Brown addressed the public stating that, “In the face of many…challenges up to and including the global financial meltdown, I have always tried to serve, to do my best in the interests of Britain, its values, and its people.”

Following the announcement, Brown made his way to Buckingham Palace, where he handed his resignation to Queen Elizabeth II. Shortly after, the Queen approved of David Cameron as Prime Minister and his decision to appoint Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg as his deputy, forming the first coalition government for the UK in seventy years.

With the change in power official, speculation continues about the changes that will ensue over the next several months.

In his first address at Downing Street, Cameron thanked Brown for his years of service to the British government and spoke to the public about the coming months, stating, “I think the service our country needs right now is to face up to our big challenges, to confront our problems, take difficult decisions, lead people through those decisions, so that together we can reach better times ahead.”