Kinsey Institute features annual Juried Art Show

In Bloomington, “Kinsey” is all but synonymous with “sex.”

While the Kinsey Institute for Research in Gender, Sexuality and Reproduction is more than condom studies, degrees in sexology and the advice column “Kinsey Confidential,” it is well-known for its vast collection of erotic art — portions of which are often on display in the Kinsey Gallery — and library materials. Besides the about 7,000 pieces of art in the official collection, the Institute will once again organize its annual Juried Art Show, kicking off with an opening reception Friday.

“We wanted to give the opportunity to artists to display art they might not be able to through other galleries because of the content,” Kinsey curator Garry Milius said.

With about 700 submissions whittled down to just fewer than 100 on display, Milius said the show’s move to the School of Fine Arts Gallery in recent years from Kinsey’s gallery space was a necessity, especially since the show began accepting submissions online.

Milius said the show has grown each year since the first show in 2006.
“We just really outgrew our space here,” he said.

Milius was one of this year’s three selecting jury members, with SoFA Gallery director Betsy Stirratt and Lisa D. Freiman, senior curator for contemporary art at the Indianapolis Museum of Art. SoFA Gallery public relations liaison Megan Abajian said the combination, particularly Freiman, lends legitimacy to the show, proving that the work has more value than it’s eroticism.

While many sculptures, paintings, photographs, videos and even embroidery come from international artists, local residents often submit their own work.

“The show always has a nice Bloomington presence,” Milius said.

Kevin O. Mooney, an adjunct professor with SoFA, submitted a 15- by 40-inch piece titled “Poolside Pussy,” which he created by layering four versions of the same image, but at different resolutions. The top layers are less opaque and more translucent to allow the bottom versions to show through.

“Viewing distance is really important to how people view the image,” Mooney said, because up close, it is indecipherable. “It slowly gives you more resolution and more detail.”

Mooney said that in his opinion, his technique turned an image that would have been pornographic into erotic art.

“It’s a new deviation, or a new direction, than you would normally see,” he said. “The work becomes a lot more abstract.”

Many entrants also donate their work to Kinsey’s vast collection of erotic art.

“We don’t have a budget for collecting artwork or purchasing artwork, so we’re pretty dependent on donations,” Milius said.

For artists, curators and visitors alike, the show can expand minds and perceptions.

“It’s definitely broadened my interpretation of what is erotic photography,” Mooney said.