The state of pop

Bringing back the beats

Lady Gaga

It’s safe to say that pop music today is healthier than it’s been in years. The last time pop was actually, um, popular, Britney Spears was a single lady and I still rushed home to catch “TRL.”

Then, of course, there was a bit of a rough patch. Justin left N*SYNC, Britney met Kevin, and Backstreet threw in the towel.

Thankfully, in recent years pop has become a more diverse genre. The blending of hip-hop and pop has definitely become a recipe for success, but more importantly, pop has embraced its dance roots.

Timberlake’s finest hour, “Future Sex/Love Sounds,” is the prime example of when pop really found its freshness. That album opened doors for the hot commodities on today’s airwaves, artists such as Justin Bieber and that gal named Gaga.

Lady Gaga is easily the biggest pop phenomenon since The Beatles. Her fans span the globe and aren’t afraid to bust a move. Gaga’s brought yet another wave of change to the genre. RedOne, one of her top producers, is probably working harder than ever.

So it seems the future of pop music will focus on just that — the future. Even a heavy hitter such as Christina Aguilera has become a prisoner of the beat, professing her 2010 summer release will be heavy on the club tracks and sounds of the year 3000.

And if the success of their most recent album is any clue, the robotic influences of the Black Eyed Peas is going to keep spreading like the food poisoning at that cheap buffet your grandparents love.

It also looks like pop might be bringing some international artists to the States in the near future. Producers such as will.i.am and RedOne have already produced huge hits for a mass of artists, such as the English acts Cheryl Cole and the Sugababes.

So find a comfortable pair of dancing shoes because it doesn’t look like this discotheque of pop music is closing down anytime soon.