Students propose 2012 presidential debate at IU

Procrastination is not in the vocabulary of student political leaders.

With the next presidential election far out of reach in the minds of most people, student leaders from a variety of IU groups and organizations are already planning their proposal to bring a presidential debate for the 2012 election to campus.

Senior Jeff Fraser, chairperson of the presidential debate initiative, said students put together nearly a 100-page bid during the 2008 election for the chance to have a debate at IU but have a much better chance of being chosen for the next election.

“Last time was the first time,” Fraser said. “Now Indianapolis has more new hotels,
President McRobbie is fully transitioned into office, and Indiana is just more competitive.”

Sophomore Justin Kingsolver, chairman of IU College Republicans, agreed with the increased prospects for IU in the 2012 election.

“One thing that has changed since 2007 is that Indiana was a blue state last election, so a lot of people are saying this is the new toss-up state, which gives us a unique advantage and a really strong possibility of obtaining the debate,” Kingsolver said.

Kingsolver also added that upcoming political events scheduled to happen at IU, such as a debate for the 9th District Congressional race, show that IU is prepared to have such a large and important event.

“The biggest thing students can do to help the initiative is to start coming to political debates that will be put on,” Kingsolver said. “If we have huge turnouts at political events, people will be more likely to fight for an event to be held here.”

If seriously considered, IU will have to go through several campus visits from presidential debate officials to examine accommodations for the candidates, security and an estimated 3,000 international journalists.

“There really isn’t anything this size that IU has ever held, or could hold, besides the Olympics,” Fraser said.

Bruce Jacobs, executive director of the Indiana Memorial Union and IU Auditorium, said the IU campus brings many advantages to the proposal.

“We would be using the auditorium, the Union and HPER, which are all within walking distance and one, contained area,” Jacobs said. “A lot of things that are very physically close would make it simple to manage the event.”

Although the presidential debate initiative cannot submit its bid for IU until 2011, the early action, preparation and student involvement is what it hopes will set it apart from the crowd.

“The opportunities for faculty, staff, students and the surrounding community for such an event would provide a tremendous learning experience for everyone involved and bring attention to what IU has to offer not just to the state, but to the nation and world,” Jacobs said.