Senior center, fan favorite Tijan Jobe going back home

Tijan Jobe

In 2004, Tijan Jobe came to the United States to play basketball, leaving behind his family in pursuit of his dream.

Six years later, he stood in Assembly Hall, doing something he never could have imagined when he first reached the States — catching the tip-off during his final game for the Hoosiers.

“This has meant a lot to me,” he said. “It gave me an opportunity to have my education ... and play basketball at the highest level.”

It was Jobe’s first start in a regular season game. It would also be his last. But, as fellow Indiana Daily Student columnist Jordan Cohen said on that fateful day, “Tijan can’t be defined by numbers.”

It is impossible to explain what Jobe means to fans through his statistics. In his time at IU, Jobe hit seven shots, recorded 40 fouls, made one free throw and blocked six shots. Statistically, he wasn’t a major player for the Hoosiers.

It was the emotion that came with him that made all the difference. No matter what he did, fans adored Jobe. He was their player. And he quickly became the face of the early stage of IU coach Tom Crean’s rebuilding era.

“That’s every player’s dream,” Jobe said. “I’m really thankful for the fans that came out and supported us every day.”

By no means did Jobe do anything spectacular during the 44 games he played for IU. But, in the eyes of fans, he didn’t do anything wrong, either. His fouls elicited chuckles. His rebounds and blocks brought on chants of “Ti-jan Jo-obe! clap clap, clap-clap-clap.” His dunk against Penn State in last year’s Big Ten Tournament tore the roof off of Conseco Fieldhouse.

In the end, the Hoosier faithful loved every one of the 211 minutes Jobe played.
Jobe also quickly connected to his teammates. He said his happiest moments at IU were spent with them.

“I still come in the locker room,” Jobe said. “I talk with them. I laugh with them. After practice, we’d stick together.”

But the good did not come without the bad. Earlier this year, Jobe’s mother died. He explained he was unable to make the trip home for the funeral because of the nature of his culture, where the dead are buried within a day of passing.

His teammates rallied around him, and at that point, more than ever, Jobe knew he belonged.

Now, finally, Jobe has his chance to go home. After six years, he will return to The Gambia to see his family.

“It’s been a long time since I’ve been there,” he said.

From then on, his future is uncertain. Jobe said he would like to pursue graduate school but is leaving his options open.

One thing is certain, though — he will be back. And the cheers that came in his time on the court will echo through Assembly Hall once again, just as they did before he gave his senior speech.

“We’re the ones that started the Tom Crean era,” Jobe said. “I see this program going in a good direction because Coach is building a good foundation.

“I’m always going to be a Hoosier. I’m still going to be here.”

And, just as before, IU fans will be more than happy to have him.