Saffold, Kirlew, Fisher taken in NFL Draft

Former IU left tackle Rodger Saffold was selected No. 33 overall in the 2010 NFL Draft by the St. Louis Rams.

Saffold was projected to be a first round pick, but instead was the first pick of the second round. He will be in charge of protecting the Rams' No. 1 overall pick in Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford.

Saffold allowed just one sack in his senior season at IU, and he started 41 games while appearing in 42 in his Hoosier career.

"The entire IU football program is very happy for Rodger Saffold,”IU coach Bill Lynch said in a statement. “Rodger was a mainstay on our offensive line and developed into an elite left tackle and one of our team captains. The St. Louis Rams are getting a tremendous football player and a young man who will represent the St. Louis organization in a first-class manner. We congratulate Rodger and look forward to watching his NFL career for many years to come."

In the seventh and final round, former IU defensive lineman Jammie Kirlew was selected by the Denver Broncos with the 232nd overall pick. Kirlew was a vocal leader on the Hoosier defense, racking up 62 tackles and 6.5 sacks in his senior season.

Later in the round, former IU wide receiver and cornerback Ray Fisher was selected by the hometown Indianapolis Colts with the 246th pick. Fisher made his name on special teams last season, scoring two return touchdowns in just nine games.

Fisher missed the last three games of the year with a leg injury, and he finished with 40 tackles.

“Congratulations to Jammie and Ray,” Lynch said. “It is a tremendous accomplishment for both of these young men. Jammie is one of the hardest-working players I have ever been around. Ray was a talented guy who played two positions at a very high level for us. We could not be happier to have three players taken in this year’s draft.”