Hoosiers close 'great' spring with intra-team duel Saturday

football

Throughout spring practice, IU coach Bill Lynch has been looking for his top 50 players.

He’ll get a more finalized list after the Hoosiers’ annual Cream and Crimson Spring Game at 6 p.m. Saturday at Memorial Stadium.

“You need to know when you come out of spring who the guys are that you can really count on,” Lynch said.

Still, Lynch said he doesn’t want to put too much stock into players’ performances during the spring game because it is a different animal than practice.

“You always want to see how they perform with some people in the stands,” Lynch said. “Some of them will be out here on the field for the first time with people in the stands, regardless of how many.”

If IU Athletics had its way, the younger players would have some crowd noise problems to worry about.

Senior quarterback Ben Chappell has heard of the department’s plans to get fans to the game, and he said he’d love to have the student support.

“It’d be really neat,” Chappell said. “I know a lot of other schools do. If the weather is like this, it’d be a fun day to come watch.”

The Hoosiers will be split into two teams for Saturday’s game, with the coaching staff trying to get the most even matchups possible. But Lynch said choosing who plays where is anything but an exact science.

“One night, I was doodling with the depth chart, and I just kind of split it up,” Lynch said. “I threw it at the staff, and we made a couple of adjustments just to make sure we had the right numbers. I guess you could say I did it this year.”

The installation of new defensive wrinkles was another of the Hoosiers’ biggest goals this spring. Lynch likened the moves to last spring, when the team put in the pistol offense. IU made the changes this year to accommodate new personnel.

Senior safety Mitchell Evans, sidelined by a hip injury all spring, said it’s been a challenge learning the new schemes.

“We have a lot of spots to fill on our defense,” Evans said. “We have to have people to step up and make plays next year, and that’s what we’re trying to find out in the spring.”

While the spring game will be a necessary coaching tool as the staff figures out who will play where, Lynch said Saturday should be all about the players.

“I want them to play hard, get excited and have fun playing football,” he said. “I think we’ve had a great spring, and I think we’ve gotten a lot done.”