Customer satisfaction — for a price

I remember the days when the peanuts were honey-roasted and every seat came with a blanket and pillow. That was nice. Flying has always been irritating, but at least there were certain complimentary perks to help make the experience a bit more enjoyable.

Now, passengers are lucky if they get an armrest and a little baggie of dry-roasted peanuts.

The concept of airlines providing complimentary services is slowly subsiding. Spirit Airlines recently announced it will be charging a fee of up to $45 to store carry-on bags in the overhead compartments. This is in addition to the fee for checked baggage. Passengers could drop $100 before they even arrive at their gates.

A European airline is considering charging its passengers to use the lavatory on flights lasting one hour or less.

I hope this airline is aware April Fools’ Day was last week. Passengers would sooner utilize the cups from their complimentary beverages as lavatories than pay to use the plane’s facilities.

At this point, I wouldn’t be surprised if airlines started charging for passengers to use their oxygen masks in case of an emergency.

In recent years, airlines decided they would no longer be serving meals to their coach passengers on certain flights. This is another indication of the troubled economy resulting in a struggling industry that has lost $60 billion in the last decade. To make up for this loss, airlines seem to have no choice but to be ruthless — even if it means holding their customers by their feet and shaking them until their pockets are empty.

Though I don’t care that I will no longer enjoy a poor man’s TV dinner while flying above the clouds, I do wish airlines would cool it with the cutbacks of features that have always helped passengers endure air travel. It seems every time I board a plane, a new cutback has resulted in a new deficit in airline courtesies. My wallet also seems significantly thinner.

The aspects of air travel that helped make the experience easier have been sacrificed in the interest of returning to profitability. This is understandable, but maintaining customer satisfaction and loyalty should be of equal importance. The last thing Americans need is another reason to dread flying.

People really hate air travel. Perhaps it’s the lack of control travelers have over their destinies. Whether or not passengers make it to their destinations on time is out of their hands. According to The New York Times, last year, 762,422 passengers were bumped on domestic flights due to overbooking. Airlines overbook because an empty seat means lost revenue.

Though bumped passengers receive vouchers and compensation, being bumped from a flight is an inconvenience that causes airline customers to feel more like a seat number than a passenger.

While I understand airlines need to make money, customer satisfaction should be worth more than a voucher, a few coins to use the bathroom and some dry-roasted peanuts.

E-mail: jzaslow@indiana.edu