902’s Nightclub offers venue to local bands

This summer will bring a significant change to 902’s Nightclub weekly music lineup.

Since January, Club Night, featuring local Bloomington DJs, has been the staple Thursday night event at 902’s. But owner Seth Parker said he is going to take Thursday nights in a new direction this summer, putting emphasis on live music. 

Beginning May 6, 902’s Nightclub will stage three local bands each Thursday night for the duration of the summer. “The Live Show” will feature both cover and non-cover bands alike and will place Club Night on a long-term hiatus. 

Parker said he is opening up Thursdays to live bands to give local musicians additional opportunities to play for their fans. 

“With the amount of students and musicians that we have coming out of the Jacob’s school, it’s just not fair that there are only so many nights and places in town where we can have real live music,” he said. “This gives another venue in Bloomington for bands to come rock out.”

Parker said he felt people were often hesitant to attend the Club Night at 902’s because they wanted to go someplace to socialize on Thursdays, or go to a bigger venue if they wanted to dance.

However, Parker said he believes having live local music on Thursdays will get people excited to come to 902’s. With the beginning of the summer approaching, he said it is a good time for a change.

Senior and CEO of Lightpipe Studios, Erik Stewart, is in charge of booking the bands and running the sound for “The Live Show.” He said each Thursday will have a specific theme and corresponding style of music. 

Reggae, blues, Ivory Coast Drum and Dance, funky hip hop and rock ‘n’ roll are all themes Stewart said he hopes to showcase this summer on 902’s recently renovated stage. 

Stewart also said Lightpipe Studios will be giving away prizes about once a month to bands who perform. 

“We will be offering prizes of free studio recording, bigger shows and even opportunities to play for A and R in Nashville,” he said. 

“The Live Show” will make its debut with a graduation theme on the Thursday of finals week, Stewart said. The Hillners, Elephant Quiz and Max Jared will comprise the first lineup. Each are local bands who have members that are soon to be earning a degree from IU. 

Jared, a singer-songwriter and guitarist, said he is very excited to be gracing the stage with a full band during the May 6 graduation show. 

“My friends and I are interested in celebrating graduation together, and it’s really going to be a real cool opportunity for me to show people what I want to do with my life, which is play music and perform and write,” said Jared, who describes his music as a jam pop fusion with a heavy blues influence. “I very much enjoy 902’s. It’s got a cool setup and the sound is fantastic.” 

Although no official plans been made regarding a return of a Club Night, owner Seth Parker said that they would like to bring back local DJs in the future, possibly every other week or once a month. 

“I think that come next semester we will try to reintroduce the idea of having a consistent Club Night,” he said.