Pop Culture Bracketology: TV series bracket, Sweet 16 discussion and results

supernatural

We’re now down to the Elite 8 of our Pop Culture Bracketology! This past weekend, members of the WEEKEND staff locked themselves in a conference room and hashed out the results of the Sweet 16 in person. Thus, instead of a running e-mail conversation, staffers penned summaries to each match-up, which follow each result for this round!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Drama Region

1. Mad Men – 87.5 percent of vote
13. Good Wife

“The Good Wife” has had a good run through the first two rounds, but the upsets stop here. “Mad Men” isn’t the universally-recognized “Best show on TV” for nothing. The style, the writing, the performances, the cultural and historical lessons, what does it have? Seriously, I’m waiting. – Cory Barker

3. House
10. Friday Night Lights – 50 percent of vote, tie broken by editor

Though a native Texan in our group disagreed with the entire premise of “Lights,” those of us who watch it regularly appreciate that it has become less about football culture and more about the relationships between the characters and the relationships between the characters and the town of Dillon, TX – whether or not it is an accurate representation of small-town Texas culture. The most commonly cited problem with “House” was that the show has in recent seasons shifted its focus from compelling medical cases to the relationships of and between the least likable characters on the show (i.e. anyone who’s not House or Wilson.) Oh, and Amber reappearing every five episodes in House’s head. Nice try, writers, but you should have realized how great a character she was – before – you decided to kill her off. – Austin Morris

Comedy Region

1. 30 Rock – 75 percent of vote
12. Community

This Sweet 16 match-up of NBC comedies pitted the established “30 Rock” against the upstart “Community.” In the end, experience won out. “Community” boasts a fun concept and the laid-back-enough cast and creative writing necessary to make it work. But “30 Rock” is, well, “30 Rock.” Bouncing back from a third season with a few too many guest stars and romantic plotlines that went nowhere, this season has seen the show go back to what it does best: show Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin deal with a bunch of rampaging hooligans while trying to make steps forward in their own lives. Call last season a simple off-year, because “30 Rock” is back in fine form. – Max McCombs

11. It’s Always Sunny of Philadelphia
10. Parks and Recreation – 87.5 percent of vote

“It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia” has been consistently funny, but the last couple seasons have stretched plots to a point where they bear absolutely no resemblance to reality. The show’s sense of humor is also occasionally offensive and probably aimed more towards the frat crowd (or is it a critique of that crowd?). “Parks and Recreation,” meanwhile, has grown by leaps and bounds in its second season. Leslie Knope is no longer just a female Michael Scott, while the show’s supporting characters have also developed enough to carry episodes. Most importantly, the writers have established that Ron Fucking Swanson is the man. – Brian Marks

Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Action Region

1. LOST – 87.5 percent of vote

4. Burn Notice

It might be a fun, engaging basically-procedural with likable characters, but when the best part about “Burn Notice” is the recent “SNL” sketch about it, the chances of taking down the odds-on favorite to win the whole bracket are terrifyingly slim. To pick out a reference from the series, “LOST” has certainly Smoke Monster’d its way through this region on its way to the Elite 8. – CB

6. Fringe
10. Supernatural – 62.5 percent of vote

In one of the most discussed match-ups of the round, these two great balancers of procedure and mythology squared off. Though nearly everyone in the discussion who has watched one of these series admitted they should probably watch the other as well, my strong love for “Supernatural” swung some of the undecided voters. These two do a lot of the same things very well, but “Supernatural” has been doing it longer and still does it better. – CB

Reality/Talk/Variety Region

1. American Idol
4. The Amazing Race – 75 percent of vote

Who, exactly, is still watching “Idol?” Certainly no one who values their hearing, because the past few seasons have been light on serious talent and heavy on truly terrible or essentially boring contestants. The addition of a fourth judge has also made the show seem overproduced and more about the judges’ critiques and less about, um, singing. In contrast, “Race” has never ceased to be compelling, even when it has a season with a slightly boring cast – there’s drama inherent in racing around the world, completing challenges that more often than not test reading comprehension over physical prowess. And when Race gets its casting right, it nails it. (See: Boston Rob & Amber; Charla & Mirna.) – AM

3. The Daily Show – 87.5 percent of vote
10. The Colbert Report

In a way-too-early match-up (like Kansas vs. Ohio State was expected to be, dammit) in the Reality and Talk Shows bracket, Jon Stewart’s sardonic wit outlasted Stephen Colbert’s satire of conservative talking heads. Stewart was decided to be more relevant, more interesting in terms of variety, and more important, even if he’s less funny on a night to night basis. – Brad Sanders

So, do any of these results surprise you? Sound off below.