sports wrestling

Grapplers hit NCAA Championship mats

wrestles

The IU wrestling team will come into the NCAA Championships on March 18 in Omaha, Neb., with six of its own looking to make their mark on the national stage.

Improving on last year’s 24th-place finish has been the goal of this experienced team all season.

As the No. 1 seed at 125 pounds, senior Angel Escobedo will attempt to repeat his run that landed him a national title two years ago. With a record-breaking third Big Ten title and perfect 33-0 record under his belt, Escobedo is once again the favorite to win.

The first round has Escobedo grappling with Princeton’s Garrett Frey to kick off his final weekend donning the cream and crimson.

Senior heavyweight Nate Everhart is another Hoosier wrestling in his final match next week. After going undefeated in the regular season, Everhart suffered his first loss in the heavyweight final of the Big Ten Championships to Iowa’s Daniel Erekson.

The 35-1 Everhart now comes into next weekend’s action with a No. 6 seed in the heavyweight bracket where he will face Boise State‘s Samuel Zylstra. Everhart has yet to lose as underdog this year, as he displayed best in his impressive run to the heavyweight title at the Cliff Keen Invitational in December.

Joining the two seniors next weekend will be the former Bloomington High School South duo, juniors Paul Young and Kurt Kinser.

Young’s fifth-place finish at 165 pounds in the Big Ten tournament was enough to earn an automatic bid to the NCAA Championships, placing him at the No. 12 seed.

Kinser had to wait until Wednesday night to find out his NCAA Championships fate.

But Kinser’s fifth-place showing at 157 pounds at the Big Ten Championship and battle-tested body of work was enough to convince the committee of his worthiness for an at-large bid.

Junior Eric Cameron also received an at-large bid at 184 pounds on Wednesday, which will mark his second-straight trip to the NCAA tournament.

Sophomore Matt Powless, who earned an automatic bid with a seventh-place finish in the 197-pound division at the Big Ten Championships, rounds out the IU qualifiers.

This will be Powless’ first trip to the NCAA Championships.