Sorority serves community with events

Centered on the theme “Indulge your senses,” the newest members of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc., referred to as u.n.D.S.T.p.u.t.e.d., will sponsor their first series of events throughout campus this week.

Junior Paige Reed, member of Delta Sigma Theta community service committee, said events throughout the week will be for everyone of every background.

“We know that our campus is very diverse, and we don’t want to target just one aspect of our campus,” Reed said. “There is something for everyone to learn.”

With sponsorship from IU Student Association, the sorority is collaborating with Union Board, Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Inc. and other organizations to bring a variety of events to campus including a Valentine mixer and community service project with Bell Trace Senior Living Community.

Senior Janis Crawford, president of the Gamma Nu chapter, said the sorority is a not-for-profit public service sorority, which has been serving the IU-Bloomington campus since 1947.

One program of the week is particularly close to the heart of Delta Sigma Theta called “enVISION a New You.”

Reed said the sorority’s Midwest regional director has diabetes and “enVISION” was planned to help raise awareness.

To combat the disease in the community, she said the program will be geared toward educating attendees about diabetes, discussing healthy habits and exercising with a yoga routine and Zumba, a high-energy workout with Latin flavor that includes salsa.

And with Valentine’s Day approaching,  members of the sorority will be at the Indiana Memorial Union literature desk, located outside of Burger King, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. this week selling 50-cent candy grams.

“You can be anonymous, send it to a friend, a crush, whoever,” said sophomore Bianca Wright, Delta Sigma Theta sergeant-at-arms.

These expressions will be handed out at Saturday evening’s mixer.

Although this series of events lasts a week, Wright said the sorority will still be around with open arms.

“We are open to and would like to build relationships with a broad range of campus organizations,” Wright said.

As for the week, Reed said students should expect to learn.

“Expect to have fun, expect to step outside of your box and learn new things,” she said.