Pop Goes Culture

jam

Let’s be honest – Valentine’s Day (or Singles Awareness Day, if you prefer) is probably not on the list of most celebrated holidays in pop culture, and the upcoming film “Valentine’s Day” does not appear likely to change that perception. Hollywood seems obsessed not with maintaining relationships but rather with filling the coffers of California divorce attorneys. However, there are some pop-culture couples, real and fictional, who are worth toasting this V-Day.

Trista & Ryan Sutter
: Trista was the first contestant on ABC’s reality dating show “The Bachelorette,” and her marriage to Ryan remains the only successful relationship from the show’s entire run. ABC even financed and televised their marriage ceremony, a frothy-pink concoction that had Ryan visibly squirming on camera. That’s why I love them, though – not only did they survive the doom of a reality showmance, but they also made it through a reality show wedding. Now they have two non-reality-show children (though they do make the cover of People magazine every now and again) and appear to be living happily ever after.

Robert Downey, Jr. & Susan Downey
: Susan Downey supported her husband in perhaps the best way possible: she produced the movie “Iron Man,” which propelled RDJ back to superstardom after drug addiction took him out of the spotlight years ago. Now he makes sure to include a shout-out to her in his hilarious acceptance speeches at awards shows, and she walks the red carpet looking glamorous by his side. They also do red-carpet interviews together, which are generally funny and adorable. Here’s hoping their streak of making great movies and staying happily married continues with “Iron Man 2.”

Jim Halpert & Pam Beesly
: I may not be the biggest fan of “The Office,” but the single show element that has never failed to be great is the relationship between Jim and Pam (a.k.a. “Jam”). Their wedding under Niagara Falls was one of the most perfect three minutes of TV I’ve seen in a long time. Here’s hoping the writers continue to treat “Jam” well as the show continues.

Beyonce & Jay-Z
: When the current queen of R&B married the reigning king of rap, I was surprised the universe didn’t implode from their collective star power. They’ve only become more famous and powerful since since Hova put a ring on it; each has had massive hit songs (“Single Ladies” and “Empire State of Mind”) and has been increasingly visible in the overall pop-culture sphere. But while I respect their commitment to keeping their relationship private, would it kill them to do a public appearance or two together?

“Coach” Eric & Tami Taylor
: No list of pop-culture power couples is complete without mentioning the marriage at the heart of “Friday Night Lights.” Four seasons in, Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton inhabit their characters like second skins, and their performances render Coach and Tami’s relationship as one of depth, nuance and unconditional love. They fight all the time, they view parenting differently, and work issues continue to crop up, but the Taylors face problems with compassion and understanding. Laugh if you want to, but I maintain that theirs is a relationship to emulate in the real world.