Knowing A-B-C’s leads to victory in Teter Spelling Bee

Spelling

It took two hours and several near-unrecognizable words to narrow a 23-contestant field down to one winner at Tuesday’s spelling bee at Teter Quad.

Michael Moore, Bob Weith and Diana Jacobs of Residential Programs and Services read the word “falafel,” which would start the spell-off between Jennie Lipson of Wissler 4 and Zach Silverman of Thompson 2.

Lipson, who sported bee’s antennae and said she wasn’t really nervous, spelled it correctly.

After an intense round of food words, the contestants came to medical terminology. First word – Antithyroglobulin. Lipson spelled it incorrectly leading to sudden death.

Lipson, starting the round, had the chance to win. The judges said the word. She stood at the microphone.

“A,” she started. “C-e-t-y-l-c-h-o-l-i-n-e. Acetylcholine.” She won and was given a $30 iTunes coupon and a trophy.

It was Teter’s second annual Spelling Bee. Residential Assistants from each of Teter’s 23 floors helped put the contest together. It was a contest to build community, said Boisen 4 Residential Assistant Tom Gaither. Each month the RAs put together a big event.

All the contestants were given a list in advance of the contest. Lipson said she looked at it 10 minutes before. She said she participated in the bee because there was a contest on her floor where only three other people participated.

“I’m glad I won,” she said.

It wasn’t just a spelling contest, it was also a spirit contest. Each Teter floor was encouraged to show up, dress up and cheer. The winners, Boisen 4, will get an ice cream party.

“It’s a very big event for our floor,” said Kent Griffith, a bee contestant for Boisen 4. He was eliminated when the words started getting tricky and obscure in the botany round. He said the farther he went in the contest, the more popular he’d be.

“It’s the single most important factor in if my peers invite me to parties and events,” Griffith said.

Like other floors who showed up to support their speller, Boisen 4 is a close floor, Griffith said. He said they have “pillow talk” where they lay down in people’s rooms and start telling secrets.

“People’s true philosophy comes out,” he said. “We all know each other’s fantasies, hopes and dreams and favorite video games.”