Just what the doctor ordered

Stuffy nose. Ridiculously sore throat. All-over exhaustion.

I have a really annoying cold, and since I just got it, nothing seems to be making it better.

One unfortunate side effect of my illness is a lack of appetite.

Even though I know I need some food to get better, I can’t exactly say I want a full meal. All I had to eat Sunday, for instance, was a sandwich and carrot sticks dipped in hot sauce.

This may not have been the healthiest thing to eat while ill. In fact, I can see my parents cringing, resisting the urge to call me up as soon as they read my column to ensure that I have enough tea and honey and am actually eating something.

Fear not, parents - I have been drinking fluids steadily to try and flush this thing out.
There are foods out there, other then carrots, which might help fight off a nasty illnesses. Since we are still in the midst of winter, we are nowhere near being done with cold and flu season. If you eat the following foods, you could be feeling better soon.

Chicken broth ­— A classic. Heat it up and eat like soup, or pour into a mug and drink. What is it about chicken broth or chicken noodle soup that makes us feel better? Typically this classic cold and flu dish is served heated, so your nose will clear up. Also, because of the high sodium content, it soothes the throat when it’s sore and raw. The protein from the soup will also give the body more strength.

Honey — I know that a lot of people don’t actually like honey, but it greatly helps the immune system. Ingredients in honey make it an antioxidant, which helps your body build up strength to fight off any illness. It also coats your throat, to help end your cough.

Ginger — A miracle spice. Ginger can be used to cure a variety of health problems, from nausea to fever. It’s best to eat fresh ginger if you can find it. But generally, when I’ve had bad tummy aches, candied ginger is just a bit more soothing.

Garlic — Yet another miracle spice. Garlic has a bunch of antioxidants as well to help the body fight any nasty invaders. It also has long term positive effects; it’s been proven to help prevent cancer, heart disease and diabetes.
Citrus fruits — Why do you think lemon tea is so popular? High levels of vitamin C boost the immune system greatly, which is why there are so many over-the-counter medications and tricks to help you get over your colds sooner. Also, the flavors tend to sooth sore throats.

One note of caution, however. Ingesting too much of any of the foods mentioned may cause further health issues.

For example, the high acidity of citrus fruits can lead to a further upset stomach. Never force yourself to eat more than you can, because it will only weaken your body’s defenses.

In moderation these five foods can greatly help you feel better in a shorter amount of time. Just remember to keep drinking water and tea as well, to flush the icky feelings out of you.

Get well soon!