sports wrestling

Hoosiers looking for focus through Senior Night

MICHIGAN

Besides senior night, the IU wrestling team will have its sights set on taking care of a Michigan team that has yet to register a Big Ten win. Wrestling unranked Big Ten foes is unfamiliar for the Hoosiers (13-3, 2-3) this year, with Northwestern being its only chance.

IU has fared well against unranked opponents in dual meets, though, with a 12-0 record.

Taking care of lesser opponents will be critical for Hoosier wrestlers trying to move up in the seedings with the Big Ten Championships right around the corner.
Michigan’s Anthony Biondo, No. 8 at 197 pounds, is the squad’s lone ranked wrestler.

The Hoosiers will counter the attack with No. 15 Matt Powless, who has made big strides in Big Ten play. The sophomore is coming off a loss to Minnesota’s No. 12 Sonny Yohn but has still recorded 25 wins on the year.

Powless will look to repeat his performance of a couple weeks ago, when he took down Illinois’ No. 9 Patrick Bond at the buzzer to secure a Hoosier victory.

IU coach Duane Goldman has repeatedly emphasized focusing on the job at hand during the week in practice.

“Even though we are going to be honoring, we still need them to focus on the match because that’s the important part of the event,” he said.

PURDUE

Last year, Powless’ takedown at the buzzer against Purdue was one of the highlights of the season, as it gave the Hoosiers a win at home against its bitter rivals.

“When we beat Purdue last year there was such a good atmosphere,” heavyweight senior Nate Everhart said. “It was definitely my most memorable moment.”

This year’s Hoosiers come into Sunday’s showdown at Lawrence North High School with a bigger advantage than last year.

The Boilermakers boast three ranked wrestlers, most notably No. 6 Luke Manuel at 174 pounds. As the winner of 13 straight matches and with the health of IU senior Trevor Perry up in the air, Manuel will have the advantage.

Luckily for the Hoosiers, the other ranked Boilermakers will be wrestling ranked Hoosiers. One of them is senior Angel Escobedo, who has not lost this year.

While Escobedo is sure to put on a show, the battle of the day will likely be at 197
pounds, with Powless taking on No. 13 Logan Brown. Brown has the upper hand coming in, having already defeated Powless 3-2 at the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational in December.